bubinga wood tree

Bubinga can also produce beautiful wide figures, curled with ropes and pomilo figures. However, in my experience, one of the defects found in Bubinga plates in compression failure. Fluorescence: A Secret Weapon in Wood Identification, Bow Woods (from a mathematical perspective), Brazilian Rosewood, East Indian, and Other Rosewoods, Genuine Lignum Vitae and Argentine Lignum Vitae, BOOK: WOOD! Bubinga is also reported to be resistant to termite and marine borer attack. properties of the Bubinga which vary slightly from one type to another, one notices that: as concerns the chemical aspect, the Bubinga is made up of less than 40% of cellulose, it is less siliceous (below 1%) and has an acid ph. I agree with everything you have said here. Has anyone tried steam bending it? Bubinga is one of the harder woods to sculpt, along with Hard Rock Maple, but well worth the trouble. Logs may weigh thousands of pounds, as this is a very heavy wood. Your email address will not be published. Turns and finishes well. Gluing can occasionally be problematic due to Bubinga’s high density and natural oils. Since Bubinga trees can grow so large, natural-edge slabs of the wood have also been used in tabletops and other specialized projects. Bilinga (also called Aloma in Germany and Opepe in England) is an African wood, from Nauclea diderrichii trees in the family Rubiaceae.. Weighing in at over 5kgs. Ft. 27.93% heavier than red oak (3.58 /bd. (Has a serious corporate conference table.) Pricing/Availability: Should be moderately priced for an import. But whoa is it heavy!!! I turned a bubinga bowl for the first time. In my experience with bubinga, as I took my pieces down to finished size, I had some slight to moderate warping in the wood. Therefore, cracks are an excellent choice for boned table legs, for example, where, instead of competing with designed curves, they are valued for their visual and physical weight. Log diameter is from 60 to 90 centimetres (24 to 35 in). It actually has that choking tang that only (or so I thought) vomit has. Shop Specialty Wood . admin October 4, 2020 Uncategorized Leave a comment 221 Views. Bubinga is a beautiful and lustrous veneer. Such a pity that there is not a great deal of solo music written for the tenor. The surface of processed Bubinga wood … If so, I’m sure its banned in Appendix I. I’m also looking to identify a wood that a Michoacan local has called Coral and also included the name Guacamayo to a sample given to me. Bubinga is an incredibly strong wood from any movement. Fortunately, all the remains and sand from Bobanga produce a good surface. The tree size is 130 to 150 ft in length and 3 to 6 ft in trunk diameter. Due to its fine, tight grain and its reddish brown color, Bubinga is often referred to as “African Rosewood”. Since Bubinga trees can grow so large, natural-edge slabs of the wood have also been used in tabletops and other specialized projects. Bubinga Tree Pictures, Images and Stock Photos. Up to 150 feet tall, the long, clean stems are 3 to 6 feet in diameter. Common Uses: Veneer, inlays, fine furniture, cabinetry, turnings, and other specialty items. However, the finished product is really a beauty and with a Briwax clear finish it has an understated elegance. Bubinga "guibourtia demeusei" Medium red-brown to red-purple color From: Cameroon, Congo Use: Flooring, furniture, cabinets, millwork Availability: 4/4" Relative Working Properties: Machining Resistance toSplitting in Nailing Resistance toSplitting in Screwing Gluing Medium Difficult Medium Difficult Physical Properties: Shipping Weight Janka Hardness 4.8-5.1 lbs per bft dry 1980 lbs @ 12% M.C. But, after substantial sanding and a BriWax clear finish, the finished piece is has an understated elegance. Padauk 1725 Bubinga 1980 Patagonian Rosewood 3840 Purpleheart 1860-2090 Pecan 1820 Merbau 1925 Pine, Heart 1225 Brushbox, Northern 2045 Purpleheart 1860-2090 Grapia 2053 Red Oak, Domestic 1260-1290 Goncalo Alves 2160 Rosewood, Asian 2170 Tigerwood 2160 Rosewood, Bolivian 1780 Mahogany, Burma 2170 Rosewood, Caribbean 2300 Rosewood, Asian 2170 For better or worse, the design and construction of this rocker is all mine. The next day I broke out in a severe rash where I had contact with the fine particles. Bubinga is commonly used for furniture, tabletops, and flooring. Allergies/Toxicity: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, Bubinga has been reported to cause skin irritation and/or skin lesions in some individuals. On the other hand, when handled incorrectly, Bubinga is susceptible to cracks and bulbous deformations, also due to these irregularities. Though not a true Rosewood, it is denser than several Rosewoods. Bubinga also frequently features figure in the wood, including waterfall, pommele, flame, quilt, and mottle. Great wood. I also make my own polish using beeswax and vegetable and coconut oil, it comes out noticably nicer than the shop brought stuff and is food safe, completely natural and quite economical as I can get a bar of wax for 75p at a local honey farm and one bar can produce 2 jars of polish. It was very punky with some light tearout. I don’t know if humidity was a factor or not. Since it turns well, it is also used for bowls, pens, and decorative articles. The tree's many fiber irregularities create an individual wood pattern. Reading this made me realize why I’ve seldom seen green turning blanks of Bubinga. Read on to discover more unique characteristics of the amazing Bubinga wood. My favorites are the “waterfall” figures with random rotations and shadows. They recognize the strikingly colored wood from Africa's steamy jungles as bubinga (Guibourtia demeausei). Comments: An immensely popular imported African hardwood, Bubinga may be loved as much for its quirky name as it is for its strength and beauty. I have put it on my pine shelves and oak table and alway think of what a good job it does when I see them. The rocker is stack laminated, then power sculpted, then hand sculpted and finished with 100% Tung Oil. At the crack level, the data is moved to a complex and twisted number that has its own appeal. ft.) Hardness 2628 ... A wood doesn't float, for example, if it's specific gravity is 1.00 or greater. I tested his sealant for myself, and it’s become the only sealant I’ll use. Personally, I love my bubinga comb I bought from Sierra Legacy (https://www.combmaker.com/) at a ren faire in the late 90’s. These are random cracks through the grain that can be very delicate, especially on rough surfaces. Browse 28 bubinga tree stock photos and images available, or start a new search to explore more stock photos and images. I suffered… Read more », When held to sunlight you can see the silica crystals in it..not good to breathe, Cribbage board walnut/bulinga had silica in grain finished beautifully, I used to work with bubinga a lot. It produces a clear strong sweet sound. These trees can be used to make huge slabs of light wood, which can cost up to several thousand dollars per thousand planks. The wood color may range from light red to dark red with black or dark purple streaks. I generally prefer a mellower tone for my native American flutes (mahogany sounds incredible). On the other hand, when handled incorrectly, Bubinga is susceptible to cracks and bulbous deformations, also due to these irregularities. Love the mottled bubinga of my custom shop Warwick Thumb 5 string. Bobanga is fully accessible wood as long as you have patience with it and adjust your own tools and techniques to work with its properties. Common Uses: Veneer, inlays, fine furniture, cabinetry, turnings, and other specialty items. i want to buy bubinga timber but dont know if i can preferrably in Ireland or else england. https://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/ Workability: Easy to work overall, though depending upon the species Bubinga can have silica present, which can prematurely dull cutting edges. Do you have a recipie you can share for your sealant? She sound’s beautiful, these instruments are a work of art. The heartwood is red-brown in color with red and purple veining. I have worked the wood down to 2mm thickness and it bends great for guitar sides. Scans/Pictures: A special thanks to Steve Earis for providing the turned photo of this wood species. They represent a failed wooden structure, possibly when a large tree is planted, and disable the use of that part of the wood. (G. demeusei, G. pellegriniana, G. tessmannii), Tree Size: 130-150 ft (40-45 m) tall, 3-6 ft (1-2 m) trunk diameter, Average Dried Weight: 56 lbs/ft3 (890 kg/m3), Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .72, .89, Modulus of Rupture: 24,410 lbf/in2 (168.3 MPa), Elastic Modulus: 2,670,000 lbf/in2 (18.41 GPa), Crushing Strength: 10,990 lbf/in2 (75.8 MPa), Shrinkage: Radial: 6.0%, Tangential: 8.2%, Volumetric: 13.9%, T/R Ratio: 1.4. The Bubinga tree (Gobortia spp) is very large. The manufacturer recommends a beeswax sealant but sometimes it’s hard to come by and is pretty expensive. Identifying and Using Hundreds of Woods Worldwide, POSTER: Worldwide Woods: Ranked by Hardness. I’ll bet it plays great! The surface of processed Bubinga wood … I’m making a handle for a Zulu iklwa with this wood. Many foreign hardwoods are treated with chemicals the US no longer allows, but does allow on imported raw materials. Bubinga trees are large, up to 150 feet tall with 3-6 foot diameter trunks. Can be hard… Read more ». Therefore, knowing about it's tone, history and application is very important during the wood selection process. I’m sharing this because I… Read more ». Bubinga pin tail markers have proven to be very durable. Do not assume that your wood is properly seasoned when you get it… with these denser wood it is best to sticker them until they have acclimated to your shop. https://themoderndiylife.blogspot.com/2012/12/diy-beeswax-wood-polish-and-sealant.html. Attached are two photos of one of my rockers. And search more of iStock's library of royalty-free stock images that features Art And Craft photos available for quick and easy download. When it is seen that the machine does not have such a strong and sharp blade unless the wood can be moved at a good speed, looking at the table creates burning edges. Immovable Bobanga generally repairs clean planes, but ripping with a search board can be a hassle. Bubinga is also reported to be resistant to termite and marine borer attack. Scientific Name: Guibourtia spp. The trees can grow quite large and five foot diameter logs are not uncommon (making one piece From a physical and mechanical point of view, the wood is thick, stable with a high mechanical strength. I did my own milling and, indeed, there was tear-out. Required fields are marked *. Bubinga Wood Veneer. As most of you already know, this is a very popular African import. Free shipping. I’m happy to read this, as I have some beautiful figured Bubinga that I plan to use for an Irish bouzouki. When it’s dry I’ve never noticed any unpleasant odor, in fact after drilling a lot of holes in it your blade will dull fairly quick and start to burn the wood, same with routing, but I did notice the smoke from some pieces when that happened smelled very sweet. In short, don’t worry too much about denting, splitting, or breaking it. I found an old solid wood double bed on a rubbish pile, at first I thought it was African mahogany , after making a Sungka board out of it and further research I think it is Bubinga, any ideas would be welcomed. I agree with you– the top is absolutely gorgeous! CONCLUSION. Copyright © 2008-2020 Eric Meier | All Rights Reserved, Although Bubinga is not evaluated on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, the three. (Has a serious corporate conference table.) As far as I know, there is no threat to the breed. I look forward to finishing something that doesn’t have open pores. Cutting with a chisel is quite slow, but sophistication and patience triumph over all. FYI: I receive a commission on sales generated through links to Amazon, eBay, etc. Surprisingly, the plane is not very difficult to see, although it requires sharp tools and a little more muscle. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information. Kind Regards, Greetings! * This wood is very heavy and hard so that Bubinga logs weigh can be more than 1000 kg.. A large tree reaching over 100 feet in height and trunk diameter of 36" and clear for up to 60 feet. Yet Bubinga also features a host of stunning grain figures, such as flamed, pommele, and waterfall, which make this wood truly unique. I wonder if it would be suitable for an Irish flute. Two great Bubinga Curly Figurine hard exotic wood pieces, 24"x 5"x 3/4" lot.#1A. Grain/Texture: Grain is straight to interlocked. I have a guitar with an oiled bubinga body and wenge neck. Do you have a pattern for it? Bubinga Overview. Bubinga has a close resemblance to rosewood, and is often use in place of more expensive woods. There is practically no gift with this wood, so the joint should look good. Rot Resistance: Ranges from moderately durable to very durable depending upon the the species. Bubinga also has an exceptional strength-to-weight ratio. As far as I know, there is no threat to the breed. TEN (10) BEAUTIFUL SANDED KILN DRIED THIN PIECES BUBINGA WOOD 12 X 3 X 1/4" $34.95. As shown here, Bubinga’s toughness makes it an excellent choice for shop tools and templates. Bubinga is often used in drums and acoustic guitars because of its excellent tonal qualities wood. Just a quick story to remind you that toxicity is a real thing. It is more dramatic on flat surfaces and can make a removable table. are likely to be much more expensive. I’ve got a lovely Bass made partly from Bubinga. Bubinga is a beautiful species of wood, but the focus of the wood is always more than the impressive color. About the Wood and Trees. Bubinga trees are often very large, often reaching heights of more than 100 feet and trunk diameters of 3 feet. It is often used on fine cabinetry and furniture and is known for its eye-catching color and shimmer. This rocker was three months in the making, working on and off, and rarely at an eight hour strectch. Attractive veneer is also available. Bubinga’s deep red brick and high density provide an undeniable visual and physical presence. Bubinga is used a lot in native american flutes with a wonderful bright tone and gorgeous finish. Here is the second photo of the same rocker. We offer Bubinga in special Pomelle, figured, and standard. Did you make it? I have bought wood that was “dry” from suppliers but they needed more time before they are completely dry. This wood is optional. A quick (small) job that by almost any comparison should have been a simple task. {{filterDisplayName(filter)}} Duration. « Previous. A beautiful story – Understood Bubinga is another story. Figured grain patterns such as waterfall, pommele, etc. You are buying the exact slab of lumber in the images shown. Here is my Warwick Thumb with Bubinga pommele body and Ovangkol neck. Are Rosewoods (and Bubinga) really banned by CITES? Bubinga wood is red to reddish purple and has delicate dark veins. Comments: An immensely popular imported African hardwood, Bubinga may be loved as much for its quirky name as it is for its strength and beauty. For thick material like leg blanks, I prefer to ignore the table saw and use the cart along with the carpenter and planner. The tree: Bubinga is a big tree, commonly growing to a mature height of 130 to 150 ft. What is Parawood Common names: rubber wood, hardwood plantation, para woodScientific name: Heva brasiliensis, what …, Your email address will not be published. Newest results . Since Bubinga trees can grow so large, natural-edge slabs of the wood have also been used in tabletops and other specialized projects.. Family: Fabaceae or Leguminosae, the legume family; the cassia group. Bubinga is very frequently seen with a variety of figure, including: pommele, flamed, waterfall, quilted, mottled, etc. A variety of different, quite strunning figures often decorate its grains (pommelle, waterfall, mottled and wildly flamed); its base color can range from a lighter pinkish red to light- to medium-brown. Bubinga with Quilted Maple Hall Table: In addition to small parts, bubinga is well suited for furniture … How beautiful! Sustainability: Although Bubinga is not evaluated on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, the three Guibourtia species yielding Bubinga are listed on CITES appendix II—which also includes finished products made of the wood. Origin: Cameroon, Gabon and the Ivory Coast. Goodman Drum Company African Bubinga solid wood stave snare drum! Also, on pieces with figured or interlocking grain, tearout can occur during planing or other machining operations. All exotic and domestic wood slabs & burls can be seen in person at The Exotic Wood Shed in our Charm, Ohio store. Bubinga Burls & Slabs *These are one of a kind pieces. It is popular for tool handles, decorative veneers, turnery, boatbuilding, knife handles, and can be used as an alternative to rosewood. Your reaction could also be the result of exposure to DDT. You can tell wood is hard. Common names (languages): Bubinga, KiwazangoScientific name: Gibbortia spp. Woodturners especially like its even texture and delicate veins of dark red and often purple. On the other hand, the lines on the chaotic and fighting faces are more stressful and uniform. The trees and its wood are from Michoacan, Mexico (and very few other places in Central America). Specifically, it is found in Cameroon, Gabon, Ivory Coast, Zaire, Equatorial Guinea, Congo, Liberia and Nigeria. The scientific name of the Bubinga wood is Didelotia Africana and it is part of the Guibourtia species. BUT the finished work is very, very durable. It glues well… bends well… Nice guitar wood. It is valued because of it’s strength to weight ratio, it beautiful figuring, and it’s close resemblance to rosewood. Diagnosed as Allergic Contact Dermatitis, the cure was steroid shots, meds, and “don’t do that again”. Sell all sorts of sizes & shapes. The tree's many fiber irregularities create an individual wood pattern. Day two, my face was selling and off to the ER I went.

Kobo Nia Vs Kobo Clara, What Are Some Benefits And Drawbacks Of Having Borders, Mtg Nightmare Tribal, Tretinoin And The Ordinary, Accounting Report Template, Magma Dungeon 2 Farming Guide,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.