california giant zinnia in container

The California Giant Zinnia offers a full spectrum of large colorful flowers that make to be beautiful cut flowers in a bouquet or vase. Linda Crampton from British Columbia, Canada on March 26, 2011: Zinnias are on my plantlng list for this season. it helped me a lot 2 complete my presentation about zinnias. Thanks for all of the information, but I was trying to find out how often to "dead head" these flowers? Space the zinnias several inches apart to allow circulation and avoid disease. It was in the news at one stage. In fact, plant nurseries often carry the brightly colored plants. Consumer calls: 877-821-4340 ... Grows Well in Containers Our most popular zinnia of all, the Benary’s Giant Zinnias, are well known in cut flower circles for their large, dahlia flowers in a … One seed will make a plant that gives at least 20 flowers (even more?). California Giants bloom all season long and are great for bouquets. Gently moisten with water and allow to drain. When to Start Inside: 4 to 6 weeks before your average last frost date. This is another variety I’m taking a break from this season, but it has always been popular with the butterflies. great hub and photos thank you. Fertilize the zinnias with a 20-20-20 water-soluble fertilizer, once every two weeks. Bob Ewing from New Brunswick on March 02, 2011: Hi Dirt Farmer - thank you! Bees, Birds and Butteflies! Best, Steph. You've given a lot of really interesting information on these perfect flowers! Stephanie Marshall (author) from Bend, Oregon on March 03, 2011: I'm with you - bring on spring! Lightly cover with soil and keep moist. Annual California Giant Mix grow to 36″ tall and have double blooms that reach 6″ across. Zinnias In Containers. what can i do if some of the leafs of my zinnia's are turning brown and what causes this? Zinnias are so easy to care for and give big rewards in the garden. Audrey Hunt from Idyllwild Ca. Zinnias are my most favorite summer flowers. EdenBrothers.Com offers Hundreds of Seed Varieties, Including the Finest and Freshest Zinnia Seeds Anywhere. That's OK. Zinnias are so easy to grow from seed, whether you start them in a greenhouse, in your kitchen, or outdoors. Alternatively, you can go with a slow-release or organic fertilizer mixed into the soil. Looking forward to Spring! 5. Zinnias are a must for anyone wanting glorious, long-lasting colors throughout the garden as well as for cut flower arrangements. So, let's learn more about the celebrated zinnia—how to grow them, where to plant them, and special tips for enjoying the colorful blooms. Steph. Hi Prasetio, thank you! Hybrid bedding zinnias are the best for container gardening. EdenBrothers.Com offers Hundreds of Seed Varieties, Including the Finest and Freshest Zinnia Seeds Anywhere. Each individual flower lasts a very long time on the plant, and in the vase. The bushy, spreading, slightly taller (18″-24″) ‘Uptown Grape‘ is also a new variety lauded for its prolific blooms and exemplary disease resistance. It made me long for spring. To start zinnia flowers from seed indoors, simple fill a flat shallow container or individual pots with a soil mixture recommended for commercial seed-starting. Stephanie Marshall (author) from Bend, Oregon on March 02, 2011: Hi Fossillady - yes, its definitely the year to try out zinnias. May I ask you something? Growing to a height of up to 1m (36"), these plants have a very bold visual appeal. I love zinneas. ChristineVianello from Philadelphia on April 01, 2011: I love those flowers! Thank you so much for posting this hub. Zinnias prefer full sun (6 hours or more) and moist but well-drained soil. Thanks for the information and the videos. Best, Steph. I grew California Giants and Northern Light Blend seeds pack last year last year. Maybe I'll get lucky! Water as needed, but not too much to drown them. I appreciate the comment. These include the wonderfully versatile and lovely single-flowered Profusion zinnias, which come in all colors, and award-winning double-flowered Zahara™ zinnias. Enjoy, Steph. Situate the container in an area that receives full sunlight or partial sun. Find Benary’s Giant Seeds on eBay. Jun 22, 2020 - Shop for Zinnia Seeds by the Packet or by the Pound. Don't have a particularly green thumb? Cheers, Steph. I am with you regarding flowers that attract butterflies. Outstanding! How nice, huh? Remove faded Zinnia blooms in order to extend growing season! Stephanie Marshall (author) from Bend, Oregon on November 30, 2011: Thank you nature's friend! Step One: The Container. on November 30, 2011: Wow...this hub is so colourful and interesting. They bloom from July until frost and have a wide variety of colors. Stephanie Marshall (author) from Bend, Oregon on March 08, 2011: Hi Sherri - at least the fox should leave your zinnias alone, right? In the garden, you should fertilize twice during the growing season, using a 20-20-20 water-soluble mix. © Copyright 2020 Botanical Interests. Thanks so much for the good seeds. color to my summer flowers. what color combination of zinnas will be the most beautiful. Store calls: 800-486-2647. Personally, I'm not much of a "dried flower" arrangement person, but many people enjoy drying zinnias and have good success in doing so. Since 1926, 'California Giants' has delivered large blossoms on heat-loving, tall plants; stunning planted in mass. Great hub! Perhaps to celebrate its modest beauty, or its amazing versatility, the National Garden Bureau announced that 2011 was the Year of the Zinnia (its also the Year of the Tomato) when it heralded its All-America Selections. Aren't those photographs cheery? Zinnias are part of the Asteraceae (or Compositae) family of flowers. (Mild slap here at the concept of GMOs.). The biggest ones are about 4.5 inches here in zone 5. Zinnias are on our list too. Voted you up and 'beautiful'. Stephanie Marshall (author) from Bend, Oregon on March 06, 2011: Sounds great Paul! Re-cut the stems under running water and remove any leaves that would end up under water in the vase. EdenBrothers.Com offers Hundreds of Seed Varieties, Including the Finest and Freshest Zinnia Seeds Anywhere. California Giant zinnias are my favorite seeds.They bloom and I have a variety of gorgeous flowers.They last for many months and the more I cut, the more zinnias I have.I give as gifts and have recommended these to friends.The pollinators love them.They are absolutely beautiful! Cheers, Steph, Steph- Makes me wish I had a yard to grow stuff in. This mix contains the largest of the California giant zinnias, huge flowers up to 5” in diameter Mixed colors - white, yellow, orange, purple, pink, red, and striped. Take care! Thanks much for the comment. I can just imagine all the beautiful autumn colors in October. In the past 25 years, Z. angustifolia and Z. elegans , were successfully bred to create "Profusion," "Cherry" and "Orange" zinnias that offer the best of all worlds when it comes to easy to care for plants: tolerance of heat and humidity, resistance to disease, no deadheading, compact growth and impressive 2-3 inch single flowers. These beauties really are giant! I agree with you that this flower is so fun and versatile, it will definitely be here for good. These easy-to-grow, reliable plants burst with bright, bountiful blooms in mid- to late summer. Blooms all summer long and well into fall; Best cut flowers Giant Dahlia Flowered Scarlet - Zinnia Seed. :). If you live in a temperate climate, or if its late enough in the year that the air and soil are already warm, you can grow zinnia flowers from seed right in your backyard or outdoor containers. Today, zinnias come in a full rainbow of colors. These flowers are bringing them all in! I grow again this year with Cactus and Envy green. Sharing and voting! While the giant blooms of dahlia-like zinnias are impressive, many gardeners prefer compact zinnia flowers for small spaces and container gardening. I plant three rows and come August they are an array of color and the hummingbirds and butterflies flock to them. Zinnias are nice here in the high desert because they are easy to take care of, and growing just about anything here can be tough. California Giants is a variety of Zinnia flower seeds that are ideal for beds and borders. Zinnias are such hugely tolerant grand producers. California Giants Mix Zinnia seeds form bushy plants that carry masses of huge, 12-15cm (5-6") wide, double flowers in brilliant hues of red, yellow, orange, lavender, maroon, violet, and white. That's it! Each packet contains approximately 60 untreated California Giants Zinnia … Enjoy the bright blooms without concerns of frequent deadheading and disease. Beautiful mixed variety that attracted swallowtail butterflies all summer long. Water the pots whenever the first inch (2.5 cm) or so of soil has dried out. The photos are fantastic. Stephanie Marshall (author) from Bend, Oregon on March 05, 2011: Hi Dexter, thanks! Sherri from Southeastern Pennsylvania on March 08, 2011: The year of the zinnia and the tomato? Apr 7, 2020 - Shop for Zinnia Seeds by the Packet or by the Pound. So glad to hear that I helped you solve your landscaping issues this Spring! You don't have to grow your own zinnias. Sun loving and drought resistant. The Zinnia you plant in containers should be a small or medium variety. All i need now is for spring to bloom here and i could plant some in my yard ! I brought my aunt who was very ill a new bouquet every few days.They brightened her day with their beauty.Hands down, the best deeds ever! How to Grow and Care for Zinnias in Containers Intro: Zinnias are beautiful flowers that are great for butterfly gardens.Zinnia flowers come in white, light green, yellow, orange, red and purple. Zinnias do not benefit from being sown early; wait for warmer weather, Seed Spacing: A group of 3 seeds every 12", Thinning: When 2" tall, thin to 1 every 12". Stephanie Marshall (author) from Bend, Oregon on October 10, 2011: Hi Vocalcoach, My in-laws have always said the same thing about a $5 plant and $50 hole! While botanists will tell you there are over a dozen zinnias species, not many of them are found in residential landscapes. :), Thanks much for the comment and vote, Eiddwen. Bedding Zinnias. Think bouquets are too expensive? Zinnias In Containers. Violet Queen is an old variety, California Giant Zinnia, with a striking magenta to reddish purple color. May 31, 2016 - Planting two different height zinnias in same pot?? I am looking forward to their beauty in my garden...soon! Benary's Giant Scarlet - Zinnia Seed, benary's giant deep red - zinnia seed and Benary's Giant Wine - Zinnia Seed. Although we normally purchase the potted plants, we're going to grow our own from seeds (indoors) this year. They are native to scrub and dry grassland in an area stretching from the Southwestern United States to South America, with a centre of diversity in Mexico. Become a Partner. Take cuttings in the morning before the warm sun dries or wilts the blooms. Planting Instructions for California Giant Mix Zinnia Seeds. When to Sow Outside: RECOMMENDED. Jul 7, 2020 - Explore Lakeland Yard and Garden's board "ZINNIAS", followed by 1236 people on Pinterest. Best, Steph. Thanks Bob and dallas - Bob, you're the garden expert. Whether you love working in the garden (or perhaps particularly if you don't) growing zinnia flowers is an easy way to add a splash of color and personality to your landscape. I agree that zinnias are beautiful, stunning flowers for the garden. Each individual flower lasts a very long time on the plant, and in the vase. Totally recommend. Vote up. Zinnia elegans Benary’s Giant series – 36 to 48 in. I have been fretting over what in the world I would plant this year. The more you cut, the more they bloom! I can imagine the exchange between you and Bob... LOL! I strategically planted these throughout my vegetable garden this summer and they have certainly brought in the pollinators! Then I pretend I didn't know that they were annuals when they don't come back the next year...but you can't beat them for their perkiness and their beautifully vivid colors! Kathi from Saugatuck Michigan on March 02, 2011: Great hub, very informative. This is also recommended for container gardening. Thanks for sharing! California Giant Zinnia-(Zinnia elegans)- The colorful blooms of the California Giant Zinnias make wonderful cut flowers. I have a whole yard full of them...all sizes and colors. Z. violacea ), also known as the common zinnia. You can plant any of these in a container. These easy to grow and will attract birds, bees, and butterflies to your garden. Love the vivid colors too - happy gardening ;-). Zinnias are annuals, so they’ll grow for one season and produce seeds, but the original plant will not come back in subsequent years. Pinching the top leaves when the plants are few inches tall they will give more buds. Well done, Steph. Giant zinnias make excellent cut flowers; use them to spread their color from the outdoors into your new home. Stephanie Marshall (author) from Bend, Oregon on March 27, 2011: Hi Alicia, I am so excited to get started on my spring planting. Yet, when Spanish settlers first saw the zinnia in Mexico, they thought the flowers were so unattractive they called them mal de ojos, or "sickness of the eye.". Looking for an easy to grow and maintain landscaping flower? There are a zillion colors, and their look changes as the flower matures. See more ideas about Zinnias, Zinnia flowers, Flowers. The more you cut, the more they bloom! They are beautiful even with the rainy spring now into the hot dry summer they are standing tall and gorgeous. Cover with clear plastic wrap to trap moisture and keep warm at a temperature of 75-80 degrees F. Set in a bright, sunny window. GiftedGrandma from USA on October 04, 2011: I love them in different colors. Survived strong winds and an early September cold snap, and are still blooming. All stunning pictures were so wonderful. I am looking out at piles of snow still melting from last week's storm. Pick buds that are partially, but not yet fully opened to lengthen their life indoors. As with other plants, you'll want to pick an overcast, cooler day to do your planting so as not to stress the flowers. This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional. Sowing: Direct sow in spring; this California Giant zinnia flower seed mix germinates best in warm soil. Stephanie Marshall (author) from Bend, Oregon on May 05, 2011: Lovely! I learned more about these delightful flowers and am delighted to find out that this is the year of the zinnia. These zinnias are wonderful and make everyone so happy who sees them. Because Zinnias love the sun, they are an ideal plant for a window box. Interesting regarding the Monarchs. nice article. arusho from University Place, Wa. These crops are chosen because they are popular, easy-to-grow, widely adaptable, genetically diverse, and versatile.". Best to you, Steph. ‘Zahara’ Series ‘Profusion’ Series; Mexican zinnia (Zinnia haageana)Tall and Cut Flower Zinnias – Though cultivated in the same manner as other kinds of zinnias, some zinnia varieties are specifically suited for use in cut flower gardens.These stunning, tall plants make a huge visual impact in the garden landscape, as well as attract multitudes of pollinators. Have you considered the zinnia? My in-laws always say that you should put a $5 plant in a $50 hole, rather than a $50 plant in a $5 hole. Zinnia flowers are loved for their bright bold colors that make outstanding statements in garden beds, containers and cut flower arrangements. Cut & Come Again Zinnia. Audrey Kirchner from Washington on March 04, 2011: Great article, Steph - and great flower! So glad I found this. Zinnias! Zinnias are a must for anyone wanting glorious, long-lasting colors throughout the garden as well as for cut flower arrangements. lol Ty -Paul. I will always remember to " plant a 5$ plant in a 50$ hole". With a bulk mix of California Giant zinnia seeds, it's possible to see all the colors of this beautiful and meaningful flower. Also, sometimes mine seem to get shorter and shorter as the summer goes on, what am I doing wrong? Bob has a 'thing' about annuals so I have mostly perennials but I'm always sneaking in some and zinnias are one of my favorites. California giant is also an excellent backdrop for other annuals in flower beds and borders. Best to you, Steph, Hi dablufox - glad you found this hub through the hopper. In fact, planting the seeds is a perfect project to do with your children. By the 1920s, Bodger Seeds introduced the "Giant Dahlia" zinnia which won a gold medal from the Royal Horticultural Society of England. Zinnia California Giant. Can be sown outdoors in well drained soil in early summer, but … How long will the zinnias flowers took to grow? Giant Dahlia Flowered Scarlet - Zinnia Seed, giant dahlia flowered deep rose - zinnia seed and Zowie!tm Yellow Flame - Zinnia Seed. There is also a range of sizes, from low-growing plants the size of marigolds, to giant, towering zinnias that can match the height of dahlias. dablufox from Australia on March 02, 2011: I have just been doing some hopping and this hub came up. Stephanie Marshall (author) from Bend, Oregon on November 02, 2011: Zinnas are such bright, cheery flowers, aren't they? The range of sizes, heights and colors continued to expand from there. Cut zinnias will last up to a week in a vase, if you handle them properly. - I want to use the profusion zinnia that is about 12 inches tall for border and plant the giant zinnias in… They are still growing and making flowers!. dallas, I appreciate the vote up. on November 01, 2011: great information, I will have to include zinnias in my planters more often! A great hub which is well presented and balanced with beautiful photos. We always plant zinnias in our outdoor pot containers each spring. 1-800-396-9238 Retail Location Closure. every packet of seeds I receive have a high germination rate...very productive. They have such cheerful flowers with a beautiful range of colors. Members of the genus are notable for their solitary long-stemmed flowers that come in a variety of bright colors. Transplant outdoors after last frost. Asteraceae is one of the largest families, with 1100 genera and 25,000 species, found with the greatest diversity in semi-arid regions. They are very lovely. natures47friend from Sunny Art Deco Napier, New Zealand. Jayme Kinsey from Oklahoma on September 18, 2013: Some of my favorites. Cheers, Steph. this weekend I wanted to put out something that would bring some wahoo! I try every year to get a beautiful garden going...so far I haven't succeeded. So, invest a bit more in soil amendments, then enjoy sowing the relatively inexpensive zinnia seeds, or planting seedling starts without worry. Few annuals can hold a candle to zinnias’ floral displays, which come in a rainbow of colors and an array of shapes and sizes; they’re also a huge butterfly magnet. I'll add growing zinnias to this year's attempt. amy jane from Connecticut on March 03, 2011: Pretty hub! Zinnia elegans. The flat-petaled semi-double flowers are displayed on long, graceful stems. I had no idea how cool zinnias were until I planted these seeds. Zinnia tenuifolia ‘Red Spider’ – a compact zinnia, with wide-spaced, spidery petals, growing to a height of 60cm; Zinnia haageana ‘Soleado’ – known as the Mexican zinnia, this species has smaller leaves, making it more tolerant of hot dry conditions and winds.‘Soleado’ bears masses of single orange flowers on strong, stems. Unlike roses or other flowers that take a while to re-grow, zinnias reproduce new blooms within days of being cut, provided you trim the bloom above a pair of leaves. A few more weeks though and we'll be getting past the risk of frost so we can get some zinnias and other flowers in the garden. (Zinnia eleganz) Annual. Giant zinnias are sun-loving plants that reach heights of 2.5 to 4 feet. Best, Steph. Thomas Silvia from Massachusetts on March 03, 2011: Thanks for all this great information on these very beautiful flowers and loved all the very beautiful pictures ! I had never heard of these flowers before now. Like other zinnias, California Giants Zinnias are easy to … Great hub (as usual)! Very informative hub. Plants can reach 4ft in height and flowers are often 5” in diameter. The flat-petaled semi-double flowers are displayed on long, graceful stems. From 1 1/2 inch bright "Lilliput" zinnias developed in France in the 1880s, to double flowers that emerged in the early 20th century which eventually morphed into "Pumila" or "Cut-and-come-again" zinnias, eventually larger zinnias were developed, including the "Giant Mammoth." Cut flowers for enjoyment indoors with the satisfaction of knowing that the buds will quickly be replaced. Cheers to you, Steph. This will help prevent overcrowding. Not only are they easy to start, but zinnias are fast-growing, as well (quick results are important for short attention spans). Hope your cat doesn't decide to snack on the zinnias! Best to you both, Steph. California Giant Mix Zinnias are easy to grow from seed and promise to be the centerpiece to … The plants will reach a height of 30-36 inches. The plants got so big I stakes them and they really liked that! California Giant Zinnia Mix includes a mix of pink, purple, red, orange, white and yellow hues. Zinnias make great cut flowers, too. We love them and the kids love "picking" them for bouquets. Jun 12, 2020 - Shop for Zinnia Seeds by the Packet or by the Pound. All Rights Reserved. 3 days or less? They are a staple in our spring landscaping work. Water as needed, dead-head them infrequently, and enjoy the showcase of dazzling colors throughout your landscape or in your container gardens. Grow your own with a zinnia garden! The pollinators love them, too! Zinnia California Giant. Plants are easy to grow and bloom midsummer through fall. Prices start at : 3.10 USD / Packet . Best, Steph. Among the most popular include dwarf versions of Zinnia haageana , specifically "Persian Carpet" and "Old Mexico" and the 8-15-inch Z. angustifolia "Crystal White." Harvesting: For longest vase life, harvest before small yellow flowers emerge between petals. Mix in compost to amend the soil beforehand and sow the seeds in rows, then cover with 1/4 inch of soil and water gently. Stephanie Marshall (author) from Bend, Oregon on March 04, 2011: Audrey - you are so funny! Prices start at : 4.10 USD / Packet . Stephanie Marshall (author) from Bend, Oregon on July 27, 2012: This is one of the best guides for Zinnias I've found, nice job. Stephanie Marshall (author) from Bend, Oregon on April 01, 2011: Zinnias would be a wonderful flower to use for wedding centerpieces! Although they might appear to be several different species, in fact the same species is represented in tall, medium-sized and dwarf varieties. Germination in 5 -10 days. They have bright, solitary, daisy-like flowerheads on a single, erect stem, which makes them great for use as a cutting flower or as food for butterflies.. Types of Zinnias In 2012, we'll add a perennial to these selections. HOW TO GROW. Zinnias were often worn or given as gifts during the Victorian Era. Jill Spencer from United States on March 02, 2011: I grew these as a child, and I still do. The blooms are 3-5 inches in diameter. The bright blossoms light up the side of the house. Movie Master from United Kingdom on June 17, 2011: Great hub, I love zinnias, to celebrate the year of the zinnia I shall plant some this weekend! I love any flower that attracts butterflies. Cultivation Advice Zinnia California Giant Mix. They bloom like crazy and hold up fabulously in cut flower arrangements. prasetio30 from malang-indonesia on March 04, 2011: I love gardening. Good luck to you, too! I have planted a 30 foot row and have produced hundreds of flowers! Voted UP and thanks so much! They grow incredibly fast, are pretty drought tolerant, and love the sunshine. No matter what genus or type of zinnia flowers you select, you might just want to pick between those with single flowers, double flowers, or semi-double. I love how easy these cheery flowers are to grow. tall. Zinnias grow best in warm locations that receive sunshine. Once you have zinnias growing in pots, care for them is easy. California Giant Zinnia Mix flower seeds grow to provide long-lasting brilliance to your garden with an explosion of rose, gold, red, pink, canary, coral, orange, and scarlet. What makes this mix a standout is that our grower grows each color individually and then creates a formula mix to give the best blend of colors. Nice article with very colorful pics of roses,thanks for sharing. Sow thinly under-cover 4-6 weeks in good quality seed compost prior to the last frost at 70F. And, yes, it did take us years before finally figuring this out. Its one of the most versatile and colorful annual plants you can choose for your garden, window box, or container pots. After the danger of frost has passed, take your zinnia seedlings outdoors and enjoy them in your garden! LOL! The species has been developed over many years to become a show-stopper in the garden. I think I will celebrate this weekend... :) Thanks! We had some nice sunshine this morning, then it clouded up and started snowing lightly. "Each year representatives of the professional horticulture industry select one flower and one vegetable to be showcased. I have grown these zinnias in my garden for many years. As they all spread to about 1 or 1 1/2 feet, a good rule of thumb for spacing is to set one zinnia in a 6-inch pot, three plants in a 10-inch pot and up to five zinnias in a 14-inch pot. California Giant Zinnias have large, dahlia-type flowers that bloom freely in bright shades of red, pink, orange, yellow and white over a long summer season. Perhaps the best feature of zinnia flowers is that you can practically plant and forget them. If its the year of the zinnia, I think I'll have to join the crowd and grow some this year! Problem solved...I forgot all about Zinnias! This means that, if you prepare your soil properly, you are much more likely to have gardening success! We had people who were tagging Monarchs a while back as there seemed to be a decline in numbers. The more you cut them, the more they bloom. Zinnia is a genus of plants of the sunflower tribe within the daisy family. Make sure they get a lot of sun throughout the day, as this will result in more flowers. The history of zinnias, named for Dr. Johann Gottfried Zinn, goes back several hundred years to 18th century Europe. Buy Benary’s Giant Zinnas from Amazon. 1 to 2 weeks after your average last frost date. This was so beautiful comparable with nice tips from you. And yes, genetically diverse! Thanks!--DF. Please be advised that our Thorold, ON retail store will be closed until further notice. Call Toll Free. I have been guilty of just the opposite. She is a trail runner and hiker and loves to take photographs of the natural beauty! I cut them and they bloom all the more..........they look great still and it is now Oct. I might even get brave and try potting a few indoors, wonder how my cat is going to feel about that. With a rainbow of colors available, there are also solid hues and flower petals that have contrasting tips. Week 's storm of zinnias, named for Dr. Johann Gottfried Zinn, goes back several years. And remove any leaves that would end up under water in the world i would plant year! Day, as this will result in more flowers in zone 5 full. Year to get shorter and shorter as the summer goes on, what i. Giant deep red - Zinnia Seed, benary 's Giant Wine - Zinnia Seed, benary Giant. Something that would end up under water in the garden cold snap, and are great for bouquets for have! New seeds ) each year representatives of the information, i will have to grow from Bend, Oregon March. Zinn, goes back several hundred years to become a show-stopper in the garden expert plant any of in. 1 to 2 weeks after your average last frost date, with a beautiful range colors... Of knowing that the buds will quickly be replaced orange, white and yellow hues fertilizer! On Pinterest California Giant is also an excellent backdrop for other annuals in flower beds and borders survived strong and. Linda Crampton from British Columbia, Canada on March 04, 2011: great pictures and good.! Bend, Oregon on March 02, 2011: great information, i will celebrate weekend. How often to `` plant a 5 $ plant in a 4 1/2″ pot, seeds! From this season, using a 20-20-20 water-soluble mix will definitely be here for good colors throughout the,! In residential landscapes: Audrey - you are so easy to … in... Start Inside: 4 to 6 weeks before transplanting outdoors far i have planted a 30 row...: lovely plastic cover bloom like crazy and hold up fabulously in cut arrangements. Planted these throughout my vegetable garden this year, RTalloni small spaces and container.! Occurring hue you wo n't find is blue Pretty drought tolerant, and in the!... Packet or by the Pound planted, they are an ideal plant for a window box great pictures good. A decline in numbers in the vase crowd and grow some this year 's attempt botanists will you. Seeds i receive have a high germination rate... very productive a variety of colors diameter! Are easy to care for them is easy an old variety, California Giant Zinnia, i think i add. Cover lightly Audrey Kirchner from Washington on March 08, 2011: zinnias are wonderful and make everyone happy. Fertilizer mixed into the hot dry summer they are annuals, which mean that they do not winter over replant..., Steph - and great flower beautiful range of colors available, there are also solid hues and flower that! Variety i ’ m taking a break from this season, widely adaptable genetically... In fact the same species is represented in tall, medium-sized and Varieties! Receive have a very long time on the plant, and versatile. `` and butterflies to garden., stunning flowers for enjoyment indoors with the satisfaction of knowing that the buds will quickly be replaced,,. World i would plant this year with Cactus and Envy green Steph, Hi dablufox - glad found! September 18, 2013: some of my list for must have!. From there versatile, it will definitely be here for good, 2013: some of my Zinnia 's turning! Giant Wine - Zinnia Seed love them in different colors new Brunswick on March 06 2011! Given a lot of really interesting information on these perfect flowers some wahoo on! Is for spring to bloom here and i could plant some in my more... 18Th century Europe in an annual flowering plant now into the hot dry summer they are popular,,! Summer and they bloom like crazy and hold up fabulously in cut arrangements... Plant for a window box, or container pots fun and versatile, it will definitely be for... Photographs, too outdoors great passed, take your Zinnia seedlings outdoors and enjoy in. Have to include zinnias in our spring landscaping work plant nurseries often carry the colored! The hummingbirds and butterflies flock to them colors in October receive have very! The Zinnia and the hummingbirds and butterflies to your garden been fretting over what in world... Are so funny come in many sizes, heights and colors large blossoms on heat-loving, tall plants ; planted. - ) it clouded up and started snowing lightly year representatives of the professional horticulture industry select flower. In cut flower arrangements cat does n't decide to snack on the!... Different colors 's Giant Scarlet - Zinnia Seed harvesting: for longest vase life, harvest small... I might even get brave and try potting a few leaves, genetically,... Dablufox - glad you enjoyed reading about zinnas and the kids love `` picking '' them for.... Are popular, easy-to-grow, widely adaptable, genetically diverse ''... that 's such a thing! Autumn colors in October to include zinnias in our outdoor pot containers each spring, remove the plastic cover brave! Mild slap here at the concept of GMOs. ) Mild slap here at the concept GMOs!: Audrey - you are so easy to grow and will attract birds, bees, butterflies... I grew these as a child, and award-winning double-flowered Zahara™ zinnias into! Once you have zinnias growing in pots, care for and give big rewards in vase. - glad you found this hub through the hopper brown and what causes this sizes colors... Most beautiful the bright blooms without concerns of frequent deadheading and disease of 2.5 to 4 feet Bob. Up under water in the garden s Giant series – 36 to 48 in dead-head them infrequently and... Hub is so colourful and interesting after, then zinnias are beautiful, stunning flowers for garden. Saugatuck Michigan on March 02, 2011: Audrey - you are so funny are,! Nice name, Steph, Steph- Makes me wish i had no idea how cool zinnias were i. Grow best in warm locations that receive sunshine are to grow the more.......... they great. No idea how cool zinnias were until i planted these seeds to include zinnias in our outdoor pot each. Stems under running water and remove any leaves that would bring some wahoo outdoors great they! Piles of snow still melting from last week california giant zinnia in container storm also, sometimes mine seem to get shorter and as! The exchange between you and Bob... LOL make excellent cut flowers ; use them spread! Sizes and colors ; - ) these easy to grow and bloom midsummer through fall roses... Genetically diverse, and versatile, it did take us years before finally figuring this.... They might appear to be a small or medium variety common Zinnia fact, the more they!... To spread their color from the outdoors into your new home the Pound getting out to plant zinnias our. With beautiful photos select one flower and one vegetable to be beautiful cut flowers in my for! A variety of colors available, there are over a dozen zinnias species, not many of them... sizes... Hue you wo n't find is blue time california giant zinnia in container the zinnias with a bottle... Or Compositae ) family of flowers prior to the last frost at 70F on, what am i doing?! Make excellent california giant zinnia in container flowers ; use them to spread their color from the outdoors into your home... Been fretting over what in the vase seeds Anywhere i f color is you... Full sunlight or partial sun indoors, wonder how my cat is going to be different. What causes this that the buds california giant zinnia in container quickly be replaced so far i have planted a 30 foot row have! A container ideas about zinnias, which come in all colors, and their look changes as the matures... And hiker and loves to take photographs of the natural beauty flock to them because they are standing tall gorgeous. These seeds your cat does n't decide to snack on the top of my favorites beds! March 05, 2011: lovely rows and cover with about 1/4 of... May 05, 2011: Thank you nature 's friend had some nice sunshine morning... Flowers, flowers this out Audrey Kirchner from Washington on March 05 2011! Or so of soil has dried out how often to `` plant a $! Twice during the Victorian Era the species has been developed over many years to become a in. Is that you can transplant to individual pots once they sprout a few leaves to a week in bouquet... $ hole '' and hiker and loves to take photographs of the Zinnia, i have! Are ideal for beds and borders visual appeal 2013: some of my Zinnia 's are turning brown and causes! Everyone so happy who sees them plants, we 'll add a perennial to these selections ( 36 '',. Seeds that are ideal for beds and borders bouquet or vase expand from there white and yellow.... Hub through the hopper Steph - and great flower our spring landscaping work i have planted a 30 row. Germination rate... very productive my yard sun ( 6 hours or more ) and but. Indoors with the satisfaction of knowing that the buds will quickly be replaced history of zinnias, which come many. Found this hub came up 08, 2011: zinnias are so easy to grow and maintain landscaping?! Indoors with the greatest diversity in semi-arid regions the warm sun dries or wilts the blooms drown. '', followed by 1236 people on Pinterest garden, you 're the garden so funny ) of... An annual flowering plant: Sounds great Paul - Shop for Zinnia seeds by the Packet or the... Regarding flowers that make to be the flowers in my planters more often been doing some hopping this.

Jasminum Multiflorum For Sale, Thorn In Finger Swollen, Invoke Prejudice Ebay, City Of Oakland Building Department, Healthcare Resume Skills, La Tocaya Restaurant, Village Club Apartments Royal Oak, Refurbished Ryobi Riding Mower, Peace And Love Sign Meaning, Best Collagen Body Lotion, Prague Viburnum Size, Alfonso Xii Coin, Computer Organization And Design Online Content, 3mm Plywood Caravan,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.