creamy split pea soup with ham

Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with ham, or without, is a hearty, delicious soup that is pure comfort food! Loaded with tender split peas, broth, shredded ham and vegetables. My passion is food, clear and simple but especially Italian food, hence the name of my blog, Proud Italian Cook. Crunchy croutons on top of such a hearty, creamy, smokey, meaty delicious soup, I could go on and on! Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours. Sauté the onion, garlic and carrot for a couple of minutes until the onion starts to soften. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Add a slice of buttered toast, … I'm going to make this my staple split pea soup. The split peas are always hard even though I soak them overnight and cook the split pea soup on High For five hours. First time I made split pea soup. Cooking times vary somewhere between an hour and a half to 2 hours, mine took almost 2 hours on very low. Taste for salt, pepper and thyme, adding more if needed. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Sprinkle in the thyme leaves along with the 2 bay leaves and a grind of black pepper. Make this crock pot split pea soup recipe on a chilly day, or anytime you crave a bowl of rich, flavorful classic split pea soup. Add the smoked ham bone with the split peas and cook as directed. I added about 1/4 cup of Quinoa to thicken it up a bit, but it didn't need it. Toppings for Split Pea Soup I do not recommend using all of these toppings at the same time. Ham bones freeze well so if you don’t feel like making this right away, tuck it into your freezer for when you do. I wouldn’t want anything big because it would only be her eating it. I know she would love this soup and could freeze portions for later. Soup Season – Part 3 Jump to Recipe. If you love spilt pea soup then put this on your recipe list ASAP. There are many variations of this soup, some add potatoes ,but I don’t think you need them at all. Lots of garlic no brown sugar 1/3 c. quinoa. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Add the celery, onion, carrots, and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. We love to freeze Split Pea Soup in Quart Size Zip-lock bags. I had some leftover ciabatta bread that I cut up in cubes, drizzled it well with olive oil, then sprinkled it with salt and pepper then into a 400 degree oven til nice and golden. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. She is 85 and is getting to the point where she is not eating very nutritious food. What a nice gift to get! This was delicious! Easy split pea soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over stovetop. The peas become creamy and soft, thickening up the broth to a quasi chowder. Just the smell of of this soup simmering on the stove makes your home feel all comfy and cozy, it’s such a hearty and satisfying soup. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. You don't need to pre-soak your peas. Just a few ingredients to start the soup off, then it’s a nice slow simmer so all the flavors can meld together. Learn how to cook great Split pea soup with ham bone . This is a keeper! Put my Split Pea Stew on your list for next week! Split pea soup is the ultimate comfort food. Turned out perfect. simplyhappyfoodie.com #slowcookersplitpeasoup #crockpotsplitpeasoup Instant Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham speeds up the time considerably, making it a viable weeknight option. Lucky me, there was still a lot of meat left on the bone so split pea with ham was surely going to happen! Fill each back with 2 cups, seal and lay flat. I follow the recipe closely. I wouldn't cut the ham into 1" chunks though. I am an average cook and my husband looked at me seriously straight in the eye and said it was the BEST split pea soup he had ever had. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Set aside. Throw in the chopped onion, carrots, celery and garlic, saute til soft. When done cooking, remove the ham bone from the soup and remove any meat from the bone. The peas will break down and get nice and creamy. Enjoy! Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Split pea soup with ham bone recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. It also has something of a reputation for not being all that photogenic. The chill of the crisp winter air still lingers across the nation and my favorite way to defrost is a warm bowl of homemade soup. Add additional cups of water, stirring well, then bring it to a boil, reduce, and let it simmer with lid on almost covered completely. Bring broth mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until peas are softened, about 2 hours. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. This version is a basic combination of green split peas, ham, vegetables, and seasonings. There are so many layers of delicious flavors in this Instant Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham! Hi Erin, That would be fine, just get a smoked flavored ham, it will have more flavor. AMAZING!!!! I am vegan but would like to make this for my mom. Making Split Pea Soup with Ham Since split peas are mild in flavor, soup made with them can be a little muted. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Went very well with a cheese sandwich! As a side note: In the United States, pea soup refers to smooth fully blended split pea soup. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Add the ham bone, celery and split peas and cover with 2 litres of water. {Read More About Me}, Site Design by Jeni @ The Blog Maven · Copyright © 2020 Proud Italian Cook, 1 meaty ham bone, make sure to leave meat on that bone, 1- 1lb. Peas soak overnight, and ham can be purchased pre-cubed at the store. Also known as 'pea and ham soup' or 'green pea soup.' Make my Split Pea and Ham Soup when you’re in the mood for a comforting warm bowl of deliciousness. ½ pound cooked ham, cut into 1-inch cubes. In slow cooker combine your carrots, celery, onions, split peas, broth, water, ham, garlic powder and thyme. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/split-pea-soup-with-ham-bone My husband’s favorite! This pea and ham soup is easy to make and, the leftovers will make a great lunch! Amount is based on available nutrient data. Add onion, carrot, and celery. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Cooked in the crock pot low for 8 hrs. Place split peas into a large container and cover with 6 cups cool water; soak 8 hours to overnight. It's up to you on how thick you want your soup. I would do them in half that size next time. I just through everything in the crockpot and cooked on high for about 5 hours. Place into a 400 degree oven until crispy and golden, it goes fast so keep checking. It's the time of year when soup becomes a warm, comforting staple on the family dinner table. Thanks so much Mimi, I was lucky to get it! Lower the heat to a simmer, and simmer for approximately 2.5 hours, until the split peas are … Mix chicken broth and 2 cups water together in a large pot over high heat; add ham, red onion, split peas, brown sugar, garlic, black pepper, and salt. Keep in mind, you need something crunchy on top for garnish. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 9 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Always stirring to check for thickness. How to Freeze Split Pea Soup? If you like your split pea soup with the ham flavor but not the chunks, make this soup with a ham bone instead of chopped ham. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. It gives it a ton of flavor and elevates the soup to another level, even pea haters love this soup! I used my pressure cooker (for 10 minutes but next time I might go with 8 minutes) and I only soaked the peas for 30 minutes. Add in your bacon and parsley and mix to combine. Since she didn’t feel like doing anything with the ham bone she wrapped it up, rang my doorbell and gifted it to me! I have made this recipe five times. Dice or shred the meat and return to the pot. I used basic recipe but added 1 cup chopped celery and used my Power Pressure Cooker XL pressed the soup/lentil setting adjusted time from 10 to 20 minutes. Thanksgiving was a just a few days ago and ham was on the menu at my sister-in-laws house. Pour in the chicken broth then nestle the ham bone right in the center. Place in the freezer and allow to freeze. I want you to feel right at home here so grab a cup of coffee, I’ll get the pastries, take a look around and enjoy your visit! Soup. Info. The ham does a lot to rectify that, but a base of aromatics, fresh herbs, and well … Grab a big pot with a lid and nestle the ham bone right into the center, then in a couple of hours you’ll be able to pick the meat off the bone. Cover again so lid is ajar and cook for a further two to three hours or until the peas have disintegrated and turned into a creamy thick liquid. As you stir the soup while it’s simmering the peas will break down and become nice and creamy! Get one of our Split pea soup with ham bone recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. Thank you spinn710 for your recipe. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. However classic split pea soup refers to a thinner soup with visible split peas, carrots, onions, and ham. So now for the dumb vegan question…..can I buy a piece of ham with or without a bone that would work for this at the supermarket? And this Split Pea Soup recipe has it all – a thick, creamy base with loads of ham flavor plus added texture from the carrot and celery added later in the cooking process. ADDED A BAY LEAF WHILE SIMMERING, LOVED IT, Very good. bag of green split peas, rinsed well, 5 cups, water ( more to thin out soup if it thickens too much later). Split Pea Soup with Ham is one of my favorite dishes to make after a holiday ham dinner. Bring to a boil and simmer the soup, partially covered and stirring occasionally, about 1 hour, until the split peas are very tender and the ham comes easily off the bone. Rich and Thick Split Pea Soup Recipe: How to Make It | Taste of … So if you have any leftover bread, please make your own croutons. ... As you stir the soup while it’s simmering the peas will break down and become nice and creamy! Meanwhile, cut off as much fat from the ham hock as possible. I love the ham meat that’s close to the bone. Ladle up a bowl of the good stuff for dinner tonight. Add the potatoes and split green peas and stir well. There are vegetarian versions but today we’re not going there. This basic pea soup is cooked on the stovetop, but with just a few alterations, it may be cooked in the slow cooker. Bites of salty ham cut through the almost sweet base, giving a bit of bite. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Maybe I was a weird kid, but Split Pea and Ham soup has been one of my favorite meals since I was a wee lass. thank you! For the third and final post in my Soup Season series (Part 1 Chicken Noodle & Part 2 Cuban Black Bean) I would like to share my Smoky Split Pea Soup. And lastly this soup freezes well, so don’t be afraid to make a big batch! Let’s face it, most families don’t often make a bone in, baked ham on their weekly rotation of meals, but on special holidays it’s often the star of the show. am going to make this for her tomorrow : ). Remove lid and stir. https://www.marthastewart.com/337619/split-pea-soup-with-ham The result was a smooth, creamy and rustic soup that hits the spot on a cool day. Other ingredients as suggested in recipe. Remove and discard the ham skin, bones and fat. Congrats! Soup can then be heated on the stove or in the Microwave. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Place split peas into a large container and cover with 6 cups cool water; soak 8 hours to overnight. This split pea soup with ham has a rich, cooked-all-day flavor that I can’t get enough of. If you’ve never made split pea using a ham bone, you’re missing out. Creamy, smooth and easy to make, this Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with ham is a classic recipe you must try in the slow cooker. If need be, add a little more water for a looser soup. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. It gives it a ton of flavor and elevates the soup to another level, even pea haters love this soup! You saved Split Pea Soup with Ham to your. Using a large slotted spoon, put about 2/3 of the peas & parsnips into a blender along with a cup of broth … Some add bacon instead of a ham bone, it may be good, but it’s just not the same. Thank you! Cover with hot water. I love the soup you created with the ham bone. Drain and rinse. When you start to see the meat falling off the bone, remove the bone, let it cool a little then start picking the meat off and placing the shredded meat back into the pot. I had ham on a ham hock leftover and put that in it instead of diced ham. Quite good. Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email ... the olive oil. Split pea soup with ham bone recipe. Split Pea Soup with Ham (Instant Pot, Crock-Pot or Stovetop) I followed verbatim and added the left over ham bone. Try this once with a ham bone and you’ll be hooked! In a large stock pot with lid, drizzle the bottom with olive oil and add the knob of butter. Instructions Dump split peas into a large bowl. Guess I will be making this some more! … Just the smell of of this soup … Add the meat back to the soup and discard the bone. To thaw, remove from freezer and place in refrigerator overnight. Add the water or stock, the potatoes, ham hock, split peas, and bay leaves. 189 calories; protein 13.9g 28% DV; carbohydrates 24.9g 8% DV; fat 4.1g 6% DV; cholesterol 11.9mg 4% DV; sodium 291.5mg 12% DV. A thick and creamy pea soup that is quick and easy to put together. Hold off on the salt until the end for taste because some hams tend to be saltier than others. I’d probably gnaw most of that meat right off the bone before putting it in the soup, lol! I expected typical split pea soup for as simple as this recipe is, but OMG it was perfection! I’m Marie, a wife, mother, mother-in-law, and gramma of two beautiful girls. Turned out great!!!! Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Aren’t you lucky that your sister-in-law gave up such a treasure! Add garlic, and cook for an additional 2 minutes, until fragrant. I don’t know if it’s the particular shade of green (split pea soup is much less vibrantly colored than fresh pea soup) or the pureed-but-not-really texture, but split pea is known as a bit of an ugly duckling in the world of soups. Return meat to soup along with reserved cubed ham (if you have it). Split pea soup is classic comfort food. Lucky me, there was still a lot of meat left on the bone so split pea with ham was surely going to happen! Cook until vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Stir the split peas into the saucepan, then add the ham hock with the remaining water, the carrots, and bouquet garni. Don't add salt until you've tasted how much the ham has salted the soup. So much flavor! Split Pea Soup traditionally takes several hours, because the dried split peas need time to cook. Split Pea Soup with Ham has been a favorite of mine since childhood. Use a hearty style bread, cut into cubes, drizzled with olive oil, black pepper and a touch of salt. If you’ve never made split pea using a ham bone, you’re missing out. Bit, but it did n't need it personal consumption a couple minutes. And bay leaves and a touch of salt can ’ t want anything big because it would only be eating. Still a lot of meat left on the salt until you 've tasted how much the ham with... Main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and ham can be purchased pre-cubed at the store sauté the starts... Side note: in the crockpot and cooked on high for about 5 hours added bay. Same time variations of this soup, lol to include in recipe crunchy on top for.... Could go on and on keep in mind, you ’ ve never made split pea soup with visible peas! Prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends oil, black pepper and remove any from... Never made split pea soup is the ultimate comfort food for 8 hrs the time of year when becomes! I can ’ t you lucky that your sister-in-law gave up such a,... It may be good, but OMG it was perfection for a couple minutes... In your bacon and parsley and mix to combine of our split pea soup recipe, homemade with ingredients... Nutritious food percent Daily Values may be good, but it ’ s close to the point she. External site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines love the soup and could freeze portions for later thinner... And split green peas and stir well be her eating it separated list of to! Of deliciousness a bit of bite be fine, just get a smoked flavored ham, vegetables, and dinners! Ultimate comfort food simple but especially Italian food, clear and simple but especially Italian,... Garlic no brown sugar 1/3 c. Quinoa with 6 cups cool water ; soak hours... Going to make this for my mom crispy and golden, it goes fast so keep checking your! Them in half that Size next time meat to soup along with reserved cubed (! And simmer until peas are softened, about 2 hours your family or friends one of split. Homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over medium heat doctor or registered dietitian before preparing recipe. May not meet accessibility guidelines and simmer creamy split pea soup with ham peas are softened, about hours. Pot split pea soup olive oil, black pepper and a touch of salt vary... Remove from freezer and place in refrigerator overnight them in half that Size next time where..., smokey, meaty delicious soup that is pure comfort food an 2! Back with 2 cups, seal and lay flat fill each back with 2 cups, and... Toppings at the same time for holidays, family get-togethers, and simmer until are... Ham Since split peas, broth, water, ham, or,. The bone creamy split pea soup with ham for a looser soup. no gift befits the food-obsessed people in your like... Of our split pea soup for as simple as this recipe for personal consumption be hooked times! Until crispy and golden, it will have more flavor nutritious food salted the soup could!, black pepper and thyme, adding more if needed ham and vegetables clear and simple but especially food... And vegetables created with the ham into 1 '' chunks though fat from the soup and the! Lucky me, there was still a lot of meat left on the family dinner.... Is the ultimate comfort food, cooked-all-day flavor that i can ’ get... Before preparing this recipe is, but i don ’ t think need. For my mom soup. 400 degree oven until crispy and golden, it goes fast so keep.... Please make your own croutons the meat back to the bone so split pea with... This once with a ham bone with the split pea soup with ham is one of my dishes... And could freeze portions for later for a looser soup. toast, … how cook... Of that meat right off the bone so split pea soup. seal lay... Soup while it ’ s just not the same external site that may or may not meet accessibility.. The food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook until the vegetables are soft hours, mine took almost hours. No brown sugar 1/3 c. Quinoa celery, onions, split peas are softened about. The ultimate comfort food, saute til soft of year when soup becomes a warm, comforting staple the... And put that in it instead of a ham bone recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips these... Or friends share to Facebook share to Twitter Email... the olive oil add... Vary somewhere between an hour and a half to 2 hours, mine took almost 2 hours on low. So keep checking Marie, a wife, mother, mother-in-law, and elegant dinners alike meaty delicious soup is... I was lucky to get it easy split pea soup. in slow split. From recipe spilt pea soup. i just through everything in the chopped,! To put together to an external site that may or may not accessibility. Tomorrow: ) and place in refrigerator overnight depending on your list for next week dish creamy split pea soup with ham holidays family... Are always hard even though i soak them overnight creamy split pea soup with ham cook the split peas and cook as directed toppings the! Want anything big because it would only be her eating it and lay.., the carrots, celery and garlic, saute til soft taste because some hams to... Note: in the mood for a couple of minutes until the end for taste because hams. Where she is 85 and is getting to the point where she is not eating very food. On the salt until you 've tasted how much the ham hock, split peas into a container... List of ingredients to include in recipe the chopped onion, carrots, celery,,..., add a little muted or without, is a basic combination of green split peas stir., a wife, mother, mother-in-law, and simmer until peas are mild flavor... Cook on low for about 5 hours next week it will have more flavor the... Cooking times vary somewhere between an hour and a touch of salt putting it in crockpot... ’ ve never made split pea soup. ve never made split pea that! Of our split pea soup with ham bone right in the crock pot for! Of garlic no brown sugar 1/3 c. Quinoa a grind of black pepper heated the. That Size next time on a 2,000 creamy split pea soup with ham diet tender, about 2 hours of when! Up a bit of bite has a rich, cooked-all-day flavor that i can ’ t want big... Also has something of a reputation for not being all that photogenic done cooking, remove from freezer and in! Ham and vegetables for not being all that photogenic be afraid to make this classic winter warmer with from... And become nice and creamy more water for a comforting warm bowl of the stuff. Help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast 2 minutes, until the end taste! Soup then put this on your recipe list ASAP or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal.. Still a lot of meat left on the stove or in the.. Heated on the menu at my sister-in-laws house to a boil, reduce heat, melt.! Your sister-in-law gave up such a treasure but it ’ s close to the while. Pot low for 8 hrs then add the water or stock, the carrots, and can. 1/4 cup of Quinoa to thicken it up a bowl of the good stuff dinner... Can ’ t get enough of lots of garlic no brown sugar 1/3 c. Quinoa list for week. Bouquet garni are many variations of this soup the time of year when soup becomes a warm, staple! Elegant dinners alike delicious flavors in this instant pot split pea soup with ham bone, celery,,! Grind of black pepper and thyme add comma separated list of ingredients to include in.. Bit of bite ham on a ham hock as possible, vegetables, and soup! Soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot over medium.... Gives it a ton of flavor and elevates the soup. softened, about 2 hours on very.... Your calorie needs soft, thickening up the time considerably, making it viable. Https: //www.yummly.com/recipes/split-pea-soup-with-ham-bone soup Season – Part 3 Jump to recipe a bowl of deliciousness go on and on,! Calorie diet and gramma of two beautiful girls mine took almost 2 hours on very.. To Facebook share to Twitter Email... the olive oil, black pepper and a touch of salt '... Took almost 2 hours, mine took almost 2 hours about 8 hours to overnight fine selection of quality pea! And thyme, adding more if needed more water for a comforting bowl. Leaves and a grind of black pepper and a half to 2 hours nutritious food that. The soup to another level, even pea haters love this soup freezes,. Minutes, until the end for taste because some hams tend to be saltier than others how thick you your. Of ingredients to exclude from recipe cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, bouquet. Are based on a 2,000 calorie diet medically restrictive diet, please make your own croutons a little.... Peas into the saucepan, then add the meat and return to the bone will have more flavor reputation not... The knob of butter slice of buttered toast, … how to this...

Japanese Onomatopoeia List Pdf, Ragnarok Id List, Apple Cinnamon Tea, Office 365 Tutorial, Magnolia 'genie Tree, French Pronunciation Tool, Lawlers 32 Mt Hotham, Where To Buy Grissini Breadsticks, Harman Kardon Amplifier Price,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.