The cosmopolitan occurrence of this fungus really exploded along with the booming tropical plant trade. I decided to write this post because the flowerpot parasol or FPP is reported to be mildly poisonous causing significant stomach problems. This is Leucocoprinus birnbaumii (formerly Lepiota lutea), the Flowerpot Mushroom.It is a tropical species in nature, which has travelled around the temperate zones with potted plants; this is one of a batch that started coming up two weeks ago in my pygmy terrarium. There's a yellow lepiota, Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, that people find in their flower pots. The majority of the mushrooms that you see growing in your potting soil are Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, formerly named Lepiota lutea, which are small and varying shades of yellow.These are so frequently seen in pots in greenhouses and homes that the common names are plantpot dapperling and flowerpot parasol. It won't hurt your pets or your children, unless they eat it. Sometimes removing all the soil in the pot and replacing it … Keep reading for more information on why mushrooms appear, what they mean for your houseplant, and your best options for getting rid of them. "Leucocoprinus birnbaumii won't hurt you, unless you eat it. Leucocoprinus birnbaumii can be handled safely, but it is poisonous if eaten by people or animals. The most common houseplant mushroom, Leucocoprinus Birnbaumii, can be difficult to get rid of and may continue pushing up through your soil month after month. I get lots of emails about this particular fungus in the winter, so I thought that it's about time to make it the Fungus of the Month. Since it makes such a … I just posted this on another post that asked about their mushrooms. Kuo says most are saprobic and won't harm plants. The Answer is: No You are now the proud steward of Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, also known as : the plant-pot dapperling. If you have young children or pets that would eat them, that could be a big problem as many mushrooms are poisonous. Luckily, this type of mushroom won’t harm your houseplant, but they are thought to be poisonous. It won't hurt your plant. It's a fungus called Leucocoprinus birnbaumii. The flowerpot parasol or Leucocoprinus birnbaumii is a very common weed fungi, often found growing from commercial potting mix but also in gardens and more inexplicable places around human habitation. These plants cultivated in tropical regions enticed the spores of Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, living from the surrounding forest floor into germinating in their planters. These mushrooms are called Leucocoprinus birnbaumii. It could absolutely be a sign of healthy, fertile soil in the same way some fungal hyphae are, but I also want to throw out that seeing them present like that could also be a sign of overwatering/too much moisture retention since mushrooms will come up in warm, humid environments and this is a common problem. Leucocoprinus birnbaumii mushrooms are nearly impossible to remove, and even fungicides are of little use. There is no getting rid of it, short of replacing all the soil in your planter (and even then it might reappear). The kind I had growing in my plant were light yellow, and because I didn’t remove them right away, I watched them transition from a round ball cap to a flat one within a couple of days. Leucocoprinus birnbaumii (luke-o-kuh-PRY-niss burn-BAUM-eee-eye) is a common mushroom in house plants and greenhouses or any other place with organically rich soil where the temperature is warm . It tends to invade houseplants in the summer months when the air is warm, moist, and humid (we've had a LOT of rain in the New York area lately). It tends to invade houseplants in the summer months when the air is warm, moist, and humid (we've had a LOT of rain in the New York area lately). Are yellow mushrooms in a balcony pot bad, and how can I remove them? Success of Fungicide Sprays You can use fungicide sprays to kill visible mushrooms, but they won't rid houseplants of them permanently.