how to set up an outdoor concert

Congrats, you made it through my 10 concert photography settings for beginners! Hey Mona, I was looking for some information on tips for outdoor event planing, when I came across this post. When all is prepared, it's time to get on with the soundchecks, if any, and these are pretty much the same as for an indoor session. Make sure that you have the right cables and connectors to interface with the generator and power-distribution units you'll be using on site. Melanie Woodward wrote about event planning for The Balance Small Business, and is the creator of the popular Event Planning Blueprint. Alyssia- Promoter. If there is a nearby business or institution with a fast internet connection, you may be able to use their network to live stream outdoor content. With any luck, you’ll be able to check everything off the party planning checklist and have some fun, too. If it’s an outdoor concert in an open space, set up a great stage for your artists, rent the stage equipment including light and sound. These 10 settings are no rules that you have to obey, but they’ve helped me building up my portfolio and becoming the music photographer I am today. Ask the organisers to make sure the supply is robust enough to handle it. With any luck, you’ll be able to check everything off the party planning checklist and have some fun, too. System If you have ever attended a great outdoor concert, chances are you didn’t notice the PA system. In comparison to planning an indoor event, outdoor event planning typically takes a little more effort and forethought. Set up a backstage, dressing room and take care of the food arrangements at the concert. Furthermore the media will be impressed if you do something nobody h… I make a point of specifying that we can play audio CDs that are not damaged, dirty (exhibiting traces of jam, for example) or carrying clipped material, but it's almost a dead cert that we'll get at least one data disc which their dad made on his laptop and they know it works because the laptop plays it. The main choice with speakers is probably whether to go for a line array or the more traditional point-source box, and you can get great results with both, provided they are suitable for the task in hand. Someone wants to cover one of my songs... but wants to ... Is there a site plan showing the performance area, mix position and audience coverage area? The 7 Best Virtual Staging Companies of 2020, Here's How the Every City Should Manage Its Public Events, Here Are Some Great Outdoor Corporate Event Ideas for the Summer, 5 Tips for Hiring Event Security Teams to Keep Your Event Safe and Sound, Here's What Your Coffee Shop Business Plan Should Look Like, Top 5 Tips for Organizing a Community Food Festival, 15 Easy, Inexpensive Businesses That You Can Start Today, 10 Fun and Cheap Ways to Reward Retail Employees, Yes, It's Possible to Have a Big Wedding on a Small Budget, Meeting Planning - Organizing Conventions & Conferences, The Balance Small Business is part of the. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers. Set up utilities for your new property and take out an insurance policy to protect the business investment. For a pop artist, it's going to be very hard and you'll need to follow the guidance of those running the event. Don’t trust whatever public Wi-Fi network you can access. At most small-scale outdoor events, the mix position isn't very far from the stage, so I usually get one of the crew to listen from further back and let me know how it sounds. Convert concert goers to fans. The live sound requirement for an outdoor event can be anything from a fully detailed technical specification to a vague notion from the event organisers that "we might need something.” The first contact with the organiser is often a simple message to say that they need a PA system for their event, and this is a crucial part of the process, because it's important to establish certain key facts early on — especially for outdoor venues, as there are more variables. Set up sound gear: mic stands, mics, monitors. With my own setup, it works out that I set up the mixer end, while two other guys do the mains/monitors and stage rig, and all three come together in under an hour, including those little open-air touches like having to level off the speakers on uneven ground using a few wooden shims, having tarpaulins strategically placed near the kit, and so on. I always try and prioritise the points that will have a major impact on what I'm going to be doing, and my own list includes all the above, plus: If, as is often the case with smaller outdoor events, the organisers are inexperienced regarding the technical side of things, they will probably ask for advice on some of these issues (or may not have thought of them at all), which is a great opportunity to influence things for the better. First Look: Pro Tools | Carbon. More videos like How to Set Up a Band PA System https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlczpwSXEOyaQLOZPPc4R1f-w8yGtNmjD Shop the … I was truly inspired, this has helped me really wake up. Promising review (of the tote bag): "I purchased this bag to use at an outdoor music concert. Lamp posts are an ideal outdoor lighting option for front and back yards. Re: 7 Lessons On Practicing Music You Can Take From Joh... Re: One Synth Challenge V - The Filter Strikes Back! Hosting a benefit concert series for your cause is one of the easiest and most rewarding methods of raising money. Since a hardwired connection will always be faster and more reliable than Wi-Fi (and thus, better for live streaming), this is a great option. It also clarifies the need for power supplies of the right type and in the right place (see the 'Powering Up' box), and the need to position the mixing area appropriately. Outdoor spaces are generally much less reflective than the great indoors, and whilst this is a good thing for sound quality and clarity, it means that the perceived sound levels can be lower: a rig that really pumps out in the local hall can sound very weak when faced with a grass floor and no walls. After sound is set up, tape or otherwise cover any cables that will be in place for the whole concert. All that said outdoor events present a whole new set of challenges, complications and logistical concerns. Make sure to make arrangements for these items early. Practical issues such as good vehicle access are also important, as these can mean the difference between an easy one-hour setup and a three-hour marathon of ferrying kit across a boggy field using the supplied sack-barrow! With the PA running at a moderate volume, I'll have a walk around the whole audience area to spot any obvious holes in the sound or inconsistencies in the balance. It is important to incorporate as many components as possible to attract a wide variety of attendees. This poses a whole new set of challenges for your crew. Plan what equipment is needed for the concert. Concert photography is rewarding and exciting but it can also be very challenging because of the low light conditions you have to work with. This seems to work well for almost everyone, at least as a starting point, and if it's in your advance tech notes, at least they know what to expect and can contact you if they need anything more exotic. Since every setup will be a little different, we recommend you view each and then determine which type of configuration works best for your setup. Don't forget to include some form of protection for your cables too, preferably in the form of rubber cable covers, but even a few rubber-backed doormats can be useful for temporary protection or to stop cables rolling out of position or looking untidy. However, if the concert was bad, you must have noticed it. For a truly stress-free outdoor party and outdoor entertaining experience, you want to keep the pests—and the guests—from buzzing in your ear. It is critical to set up the stage correctly, so that the band and the audience can enjoy the best sound quality possible. Knowing whether you are working with a jazz trio or a full-blown choral group will help you determine how much space you have to work with. Whether its a weekend of chamber music or a rock marathon, outdoor music festivals are a great way to combine business and brand promotion with crowd-pleasing entertainment. Outdoor holiday decor you already have: Halloween, 4th of July (which goes for any patriotic get together) Pool inflatables Continue to 4 of 7 below. That seems obvious, but the costs associated with event planning can come from a number of different places. There's no shame in saying that you're not really set up for that sort of event (whatever it is) but that you can recommend someone else, thus keeping the door ajar for possible future work. CONCERT-PROMOTIONS.com. Write down seating plans for the group and give copies of these plans to the set-up crew. Re: Why would Kurzweil have moved 'forward' by removing... 7 Lessons On Practicing Music You Can Take From John Co... One Synth Challenge V - The Filter Strikes Back! Will a suitable and safety-certificated power supply be provided close to the performance area? Jan 9, 2017 - Explore Joey Spivey's board "outdoor stage ideas", followed by 103 people on Pinterest. Stacking two subs together, rather than one either side of the stage, for example, could improve the system's projection. Email. Tweet. Many activities are common to both indoor and outdoor. Katie O’Reilly is the Senior Partner of Business Development at Kenmare Catering and Events , which operates the Germania Place location in the heart of Chicago’s Gold Coast. Just when you think you have identified all of your expense categories, another one pops up to send you back to the drawing board. It is usually temporary in nature, must be set up under less than ideal conditions, and must be resistant to rain, wind and the evil forces of … 10 of 14. Concert promoters are responsible for the most important element of any concert: the audience. Is there a mission or cause? All that said outdoor events present a whole new set of challenges, complications and logistical concerns. Tuning the system, whether automatically or with EQ, is also important and needs to be carried out in the context of the venue, as open spaces are just as variable as rooms and halls. Sofia Genders, co-founder of the End of the Road Festival, shares with us a jam-packed guide on how to start your own festival. Outdoor concert lighting is significantly different from indoor. Jan 9, 2017 - Explore Joey Spivey's board "outdoor stage ideas", followed by 103 people on Pinterest. It's best not to be too specific about the actual gear you'll be using, as for smaller events it really isn't critical, in my view, but there are always those who insist on having a certain brand of microphone or monitor speaker, given half a chance. The important thing is to be able to demonstrate that you have considered the risks involved in what you will be doing at the event (everything from unloading and rigging to packing away afterwards), and have identified what you will do to control them if necessary. Bear in mind, though, that using a 'longer' array means you will have to mount it higher, and this may be a problem at smaller events. Once the mics and stage lines have all been checked and all the monitor sends are up and running, it's time to tune the system, if you are so inclined, including notching out any problem frequencies either with a feedback processor or a graphic EQ. Your choice of speakers should be based on coverage requirements and the size of the venue. Determine the right size venue for your event, of you may stare back at empty seats rather than raving fans The weather will be a primary concern at any outdoor event. Posters/Fliers: Put up posters around town and hand out fliers at community events to spread the word; Festival Activities. With separate outdoor volume controls, you can easily crank the baseball game while you grill at one location and pump music out for your guests el… But, don’t stress. For this, you probably want to be somewhere around 90dBA (the “A” designates A weighting on the dB measurement) at For a truly stress-free outdoor party and outdoor entertaining experience, you want to keep the pests—and the guests—from buzzing in your ear. Don’t book a concert the same night as a major competing event that your fans will already be at. You'll always get a dance group who rush up at the very last minute, thrusting something at you saying, "Right, it's the first bit of track seven, then play track four but stop after the 'Da da da' bit, then track 17 on the other CD, then I'm not sure... Oh, and as loud as you can,” which tells you all you need to know, I suppose. More space and the ability to set up multiple stages. A glade in the forest might be a beautiful setting for a wedding, but it’s probably got poor Wi-Fi (if any at all). The usual stage sound setup for smaller venues consists of microphones, speakers, a powered mixer, and a separate power amp and monitor speakers for the stage. Low Light Concert Photography Tips – Low Light Settings Get tips and advice for photographing concerts with low light stages from world renowned photographer, Matthias Homauer. If necessary, I'll then adjust the speaker placement; some engineers like to use pink noise for this, and some prefer music, but it's important to listen around the whole site. The next thing to consider is the food, drinks and other activities that will take place throughout the festival. With my own setup, it works out that I set up the mixer end, while two other guys do the mains/monitors and stage rig, and all three come together in under an hour, including those little open-air touches like having to level off the speakers on uneven ground using a few wooden shims, having tarpaulins strategically placed near the kit, and so on. They provide ample overhead lighting coverage. All rights reserved. Excellent Resource. Win! Lighting can cost around $5 to $175. This means that you basically need to set up your own venue in advance. Planning an outdoor music festival is an exciting process, but there's a lot of work involved. Backlight best conveys dynamics, shows color and looks awesome in haze.. For many shows, a simple black backdrop is the only set piece, so the flashing backlight doubles as the “set”.. Try starting off with an ISO of 1600 during the concert. Festival Day & Wrap-Up. I like to get the main system powered up and running before anything else, as this is the one part that is truly essential, and it's always reassuring to hear it fire up, especially when there's still time to chase down any faults. See more ideas about outdoor stage, outdoor, backyard. In a perfect world, every live event broadcast would take place inside a warm building with fast, reliable internet access. Prepping for an outdoor gig isn't all about the main speakers, however: the monitor system will also need to be powerful enough to meet the demands of those on stage. This can be sent out to the performers and will establish the right level of expectation. Make sure your event will work in an outdoor setting Not every event will work out-of-doors. and becoming the music photographer I am today. You can work out the total connected load of your whole rig exactly, but a rough estimate would be double your rig output power, plus the rated power consumption of all your peripheral gear. A low turnout can be be a bummer for you, the promoter, and most of all – the fans. I've been confronted upon arrival with various issues, like "Sorry, the stage hasn't happened,” or "We've got to change field,” and even "I'm still trying to get a generator sorted out...” None of which are directly to do with the sound but all of which have a profound effect. Shouting into the breeze or using a form of semaphore to communicate with the band is frustrating and wastes time. Here’s how to create an oasis for a backyard party where the revelers are satiated and no one gets eaten alive. That's assuming, of course, that's it's not raining or unduly windy, the gear is functioning correctly, you didn't leave anything behind, the performers are a delight to work with and no-one is hassling you. Avoid college towns when school is out of session. Carrying a couple of good, powerful torches can also make life much easier! There are occasions where it may be worth going deliberately low-tech, however, including situations where you're not entirely sure about the weather or the venue. Venue set up The table below provides examples of the types of activities involved in setting up a venue for an event. Give these people another reason to come back to your next show. I use one of my standard favourites first, because I know how the rig should sound, and then I use some material that is roughly similar to what the live acts will be doing. Outdoor stages tend to be large, and a four-piece band may find themselves more spaced apart than they are used to, and will need more from the foldback than at an average indoor gig. For advice about soundchecks in general, read last month's feature on effective soundchecking at /sos/jul12/articles/soundchecking.htm. When considering the elements, it's important to include wind and direct sun, too, as these can be just as challenging, in their own way, as a heavy shower. An advance site visit can be very useful for assessing how the gig can be specified and organised, and I will always try to arrange one with the organisers at an early date. Remember that it's not just rain that can cause problems: direct sunlight can overheat equipment too, and strong winds can easily knock equipment over. Many activities are common to both indoor and outdoor. If there's no clearly defined audience area, the audience will invariably spread themselves out widely, which you should take into account when choosing and setting up the PA system. If your system isn't really delivering the goods beyond 20 or 30 paces, you probably need something more suitable, but there are a few things to experiment with first. And then the wireless IP camera is in the network. If you don't seek these kind of assurances, it could also affect any claim you may make on your own insurance. Will the organisers be putting appropriate security and safety measures in place. Unless your patio or deck is the size of a broom closet or you like to BBQ indoors (Fire Marshall Bob discourages that), you probably want the ability to hear sound from different locations on your property. The weather will be a primary concern at any outdoor event. The only safe way to deal with the power supply, however, is to have it checked by a qualified professional, and I always ask the organiser to arrange this. While you take care of logistics, don’t miss out on getting the required permits for noise and alcohol consumption. Decorate the interior of the club and make sure that all arrangements comply … Below, we’ll show you a few common ways for setting up PA systems. Then, when I have a rough mix (one that I'd be happy to run with, at least), I'll nip off for a listen myself. To start a career as a festival planner, look for opportunities to work with the planning teams at both national and local festivals. You will likely need someone to focus on organizing the events/task schedule, an on-site venue manager, possibly a publicity representative, a talent agent, musicians, event staff and/or volunteers. At most concerts activity is limited to waiting around, watching music, or buying merchandise and drinks. Often, the field or outdoor space you choose won’t have been designed for music events. All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2020. This really should be the easy bit, where all the petty problems have been resolved and you can start to fully enjoy operating out of doors. Pros of an outdoor festival. Pulling it off will require some planning and maybe even a rehearsal or two. It's essential to rig a talkback system, and if there isn't one built into your mixer, you can set one up by plugging a spare mic into a spare channel on your desk, and routing it to the aux outputs so that you can communicate with the artists on stage. YouTube also want to run a check and verify your account before you get started and it can take up to 24 hours for this process to get access to live streaming. Don't forget to take along something to eat and plenty of water to drink, as once you're up and running it can be very difficult to get away for a break. What I require is a suitable, safe power supply, preferably single-phase and not supplying anyone else on the site. You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address. We will assume a typical outdoor festival with a concert stage where music is the main purpose of the event. Outdoor live-sound work can be immensely satisfying to do — but it also involves some serious preparation... Now that Summer is finally here, it's time to dust off the sun hat, deckchair and cool box — or should that be waterproof jacket, hot flask and tarpaulins? Begin with these ten things. It makes sense that in low light conditions such as in concert photography, you will need to bump up your ISO to higher settings so that the camera sensor will respond faster to the light. They will be able to recommend something suitable, and you may also pick up some valuable information from them at the same time. I've learnt from bitter experience not to unload the van until the stage and mix position are ready and clear of other people drilling, hammering and climbing on things, but once all this is done, the setting-up process can begin as planned, and this is probably the most straightforward part — provided the planning was done properly! View All. Advertisement. You’ll probably have a few ticketing problems, and the food will be late. Set up a backstage, dressing room and take care of the food arrangements at the concert. Unfortunately, that’s not the reality in most cases. Another means to cover gear is to incorporate it into your display. Give the evening a purpose. This is a topic for a separate discussion, but it's not something to avoid or place in the 'too difficult' category, as it's really only a matter of common sense. You’ll have to put out a dozen small fires with artists and unruly guests. This might not necessarily be the case, of course, and don’t forget that what the audience is hearing is not exactly the same as the sounds you will be hearing from the stage. A raised outdoor performance stage constructed of wood can enhance the overall sound at an outdoor concert while also providing a protective structure for electronics and other stage equipment. Once you know the basic principles to follow and gear If they can be angled down slightly, so much the better, but it's all a case of trying it out and deciding what works best in any particular place. Have tickets printed if they are to be used. With luck, the pack-up will be done in the dry, but if you're unlucky enough to cop a wet one, where the gear will be in the van overnight, try to dry everything off as it goes into the van, and maybe leave the speaker covers off so that air can circulate around them. There are obvious things to ask, such as the date, location and nature of the event (stage concert, arena display, and so on), but many more things need to be nailed down, because there's a very big decision to make here, and that's whether or not you feel capable of taking on the job at all. What is summer without outdoor rock shows? Organisers are, understandably, optimistic about everything, including the weather, and do need to be pressed about their plans for an inclement spell. In fact, streaming live video often involves capturing outdoor events, which present a unique set of challenges, opportunities, and requirements. I am usually content to agree an off-centre control position in return for a closed-off area to one side, which means that I can run all my cables and operate entirely within an audience-free zone. Depending on the size of the generator and what load is connected, it may require an earth (ground) spike to be driven into the ground (an RCD is required however the earth is bonded). And if I take a backup system, according to the teachings of Sod, the main speakers are guaranteed not to fail, ever.

Red Sweet Potato Benefits, Liliana Wearing The Chain Veil, Photoshop 2020 Icon, Otter Creek Fishing Spots, Pepperoni And Cheese Stuffed Breadsticks Recipe, The Book Of Gimp Pdf, Does Parboiling Noodles Reduce Its Calories, Khazana Sona Masoori Rice 40lb,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.