minimum subfloor thickness for ditra

The floor tile we're planning to use is a 18x18" ceramic. Particle board is a low end subfloor that is rarely a good idea. Now, as you said, your deflection along the joists should be fine-- even if you wanted to use stone. From what I understand, Ditra is about 1/8" thick. 3) Check Before Installation: Once you determine the subfloor is the proper thickness, check that the subfloor is installed properly, with no issues that could affect your installation. Ooopsa. For joist spans 16 inches or less, NWFA recommends minimum panel thickness of 5⁄8-inch plywood or 23⁄32-inch OSB; the building code requires 5⁄8-inch plywood or OSB. Movement Joints DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-DUO do not Column 3. Movement Joints DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-TB do not A 3/4-inch plywood subfloor on a joist structure with 24-inch spacing needs the extra thickness of cementboard or the floor will flex and the tiles will crack. Although they may still be ceramic, I'd still go with another layer of 3/8" plywood over the 3/4", and then the Ditra. The thicknesses are as follows: 7/16-, 15/32- … Fibre board was normally used in mobile homes because of the reduced cost/weight! any leveling of the subfloor must be done prior to installing DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-DUO. Hopefully this will be enough? Subtracting the tile and ditra thickness leaves me with 3/8" left for thinset. Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring - Question about subfloor repair/replacement thickness for Ditra Heat Tile job - Hello, I'm in the process of renovating our bathroom and need some help with I always use 3/4" T&G. The bottom of the square cavities in Schlüter®-DITRA 25, which are filled with thin-bed adhesive, directly transfer the load impact on the tile covering to the substrate. Tile flooring is water-resistant and durable when combined with backer board, which is impervious to moisture and helps create a flat base. Their answers ranged from "Nailing down solid hardwood flooring -- no problem!" to "That's (nail down) fraught with peril -- the OSB won't hold nails/staples". If you haven't resheathed your floor yet, why would this be a problem? The solid backing idea seems like a good one, much better than having to add a border to the 18" tile installation. No amount of grinding is going to deal with the slope. This means removing most of the 3/4" plywood subfloor so the plumber can move/add the supply lines and drains. and in good condition is enough to meet minimum deflection standards of L360 for ceramic. If you put two layers of OSB, then the Ditra you're really building up the floor and can have issues where the floor levels don't match up. But what’s not so awesome are broken tiles. My OSB subfloors are ¾ inches or 19mm. Adhere the Ditra to the subfloor with modified thinset. Then thinset and tiles on top. Adhere the Ditra to the subfloor with modified thinset. How Thick Is Tile Flooring & Backer Board When Installed?. The plywood subfloor beneath the wood was mostly in good shape. Then thinset and tiles on top. The final thickness came out perfect. What are my options? minimum subfloor thickness – 19/32", 5/8" nom. Not sure where you are building, but according to the Residential Code of NYS Table R503.1 Minimum Thickness of Lumber Floor Sheathing for 16" Joist Spacing requires a net min thickness of 5/8". Please see pictures below. BUT should still hold a notch. I bought Vintage Wire Brushed Red Oak Cocoa Northern Solid Sawn Character UV Urethane Oil 5” for my hardwood. Go for plywood & Ditra. The thickness of my floor is a 19/32 ply. 5/8" scares me and is bare minimum under the best of conditions. %���� What should I do to level the floor with this hump across the room? As for your tiles, make sure to consult with a Store Associate on the trowel size that will be best suited to the size and thickness of your tiles. underlayment – minimum 11/32", 3/8" nom. You might be OK with your installation, but are risking cracked tiles or grout joints. The subfloor under the tile should be at least 1 1/8″ thick, with a minimum of 5/8 ″ thick exterior grade plywood topped by 1/2″ cement backer board. Schluter®-DITRA is a polyethylene membrane with a grid structure of square cavities, each cut back in a dovetail configuration, and an anchoring fleece laminated to the underside. The nominal 5/16” (8mm) thickness minimizes tile assembly thickness. The existing subfloor needs to go as it is damaged thanks to a leak. I’d like to have both floors as even as possible without the need for beveled transition pieces. With your joist being 16" oc and properly sized, you can use Ditra right over the 3/4" subfloor if you;r eusing ceramic/porcelain tile. In this scenario, Jim and Rich install 1/2″ cementious backer unit (CBU) resulting in at least an 1-1/8″ thick subfloor. Hardibacker isn't a subfloor (substitute for plywood), it's an underlayment (substitute for Ditra) as it doesn't provide structural support. This joist is causing a hump across the floor and I am looking at what I can do to level it. any leveling of the subfloor must be done prior to installing DITRA-HEAT and DITRA- HEAT-DUO. Reference the DITRA-HEAT handbook to ensure your underlayment meets Schluter’s recommendations. (16 mm) tongue-and-groove with 1/8" (3 mm) gap between sheets Substrate Preparation What's the Right Wood Floor Installation for You? I used 11/64 square notch for subfloor to Ditra and the 1/4 square notch for Ditra to tile. But while researching on the Schutler site, I see that they require T&G plywood with an 1/8" gaps at the joints in order to install ditra over plywood. If the existing subfloor is in poor condition, you will need to add a secondary underlayment of thin plywood over the subfloor. �V��)g�B�0�i�W��8#�8wթ��8_�٥ʨQ����Q�j@�&�A)/��g�>'K�� �t�;\�� ӥ$պF�ZUn����(4T�%)뫔�0C&�����Z��i���8��bx��E���B�;�����P���ӓ̹�A�om?�W= Matter of fact, alot of T&G subfloor sheathing automatically gaps itself, kinda like wall tile. Subfloor thickness issue. Would you recommend that I use 16 gauge or 18 gauge 1 3/4” - 2” cleats or even maybe staples for OSB plywood? Over your subfloor, the total thickness of thinset plus Ditra plus thinset plus 1/4" thick tile will be about 1/2" thickness total. For example, Schluter recommends wood subfloors have a minimum thickness of 3/8″. DC's Staircases, Custom Railings & Stainless Steel | 4x Best of Houzz! What would be the minimum total subfloor thickness suitable for ceramic tile? If the subfloor was new or almost new, you might get by with 3/8" ply. Maximum Spacing of supports, mm. I actually used a smaller 1/8 v-notch first because my tile was thicker than the typical ones, but that turned out too low. Uncoupling membranes aren't recommended for tiles smaller than 2-inches square and should not be used when covering old hardwood flooring due to adhesion problems. Here's how to counter the differences, Straight, diagonal, chevron, parquet and more. Again, modified thin-set is what you want between DITRA and the wood subfloor. Mix up modified thin-set. minimum subfloor thickness – 19/32", 5/8" It comes in smaller sizes, including a 3x3 mosaic. Tile is installed over DITRA using the thin-bed method in such a way that the mortar becomes mechanically anchored in the square, cutback cavities of t… For natural stone, you need more floor thickness under the Ditra. For joists spaced more than 19.2 inches on center, the minimum thickness for plywood is 7/8 inch and for OSB, 1 inch. Mary. And I had already prepared myself mentally for the need for a second layer between the ditra and the first subfloor. And having to replace the original flooring around the toilet, the only plumbing fixture we are not moving. The anchoring fleece is embedded in thin-set mortar to provide a mechanical bond to the substrate. For most installations you're good with just using a cement underlayment like Hardiboard that is secured to the subfloor with screws and laid on a bed of thinset mortar. Thickness: One common misconception is that Ditra Heat is thinner than RPM. Hi Guys, Thank you very much for your answers. If you put two layers of OSB, then the Ditra you're really building up the floor and can have issues where the floor levels don't match up. We are remodeling our master bath to incorporate a whirlpool tub and separate shower. Any one have expertise about best toilet trees? (19 mm) tongue-and-groove with 1/8" (3 mm) gap between sheets. Substrate Preparation verify that subfloor panels are properly fastened to framing members. Again, modified thin-set is what you want between DITRA and the wood subfloor. All the Best, Dasm, Before you pick up a single tile, pull from these tips for expert results, Putting a new commode in a bathroom or powder room yourself saves plumber fees, and it's less scary than you might expect, Learn what Energy Star ratings mean, what special license your contractor should have, whether permits are required and more, In this article, the first in a series exploring permit processes and requirements, learn why and when you might need one, Homeowners who aren't afraid of nail guns can tackle their own pre-hung door project in a couple of hours, Irregular tile heights can mar the look of your bathroom. For tile, with joists 16" on center, the minimum subfloor thickness for Ditra is 5/8", but 3/4" is obviously better. Why Use Schluter DITRA Tile floors…there’s no doubt they make homes look nicer. (19 mm) tongue-and-groove with 1/8" (3 mm) gap between sheets Substrate Preparation verify that subfloor panels are properly fastened to framing members any leveling of the subfloor must be done prior to installing DITRA and DITRA-XL Movement Joints DITRA and DITRA-XL do not eliminate the Ditra is about 1/8" thick. Movement Joints DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-DUO do not and in good condition is enough to meet minimum deflection standards of L360 for ceramic. As a consequence, tile coverings installed on top of Schlüter®-DITRA 25 are Over your subfloor, the total thickness of thinset plus Ditra plus thinset plus 1/4" thick tile will be about 1/2" thickness total. In conjunction with tiled coverings, Schlüter®-DITRA 25 forms an uncoupling, waterproofing and vapour pressure equalisation layer. Short of cutting off a body part, the worst that can happen in woodworking is manufacturing really nice looking kindling. Step 1: Planning DITRA … For tile, with joists 16" on center, the minimum subfloor thickness for Ditra is 5/8", but 3/4" is obviously better. The subfloor provides a support structure for the flooring that will go on top of it, and to be successful, the subfloor needs to be strong enough to support the flooring. Certain "tiles" have the same flatness requirement as laminate. If this something possible to do, how much OSB plywood can I shave off? Not for nothing, but those are the specs to be followed for ANY subfloor. Schlüter®-DITRA 25 is a polyethylene mat with square, dovetailed recesses and an anchoring fleece laminated to the underside. We are planning to use the T&G for the new subfloor but there will be places where the new subfloor meets the existing subfloor. Plywood and OSB are the two most common materials used for floor decking, and typically they are 5/8″ or 3/4″ thick. Mix up modified thin-set. I wanted to be sure before I spent money on the project. Once your subfloor is good to go it’s time to install the DITRA. It comes down to the brand of vinyl you have installed. Subtracting the tile and ditra thickness leaves me with 3/8" left for thinset. There’s also Stratamat, Flexbone, and others that allow for modified mortars. The answers for engineered flooring glue-down installation also get varied replies. How do you know you have the right modified thin-set? Thank you, Rogue. n�3ܣ�k�Gݯz=��[=��=�B�0FX'�+������t���G�,�}���/���Hh8�m�W�2p[����AiA��N�#8$X�?�A�KHI�{!7�. Subfloor goes between the joists, or boards, framing the floor. Imagine taking days to grind that out only to find out (later...at greater expense to you) that you must now ADD material to get rid of the slope. The minimum required tile format for use with DITRA is 2" x 2" (50 mm x 50 mm). underlayment – minimum 11/32", 3/8" nom. DITRA-HEAT-DUO features an integrated bonding fleece that provides sound control, as well as a thermal break. (19 mm) tongue-and-groove with 1/8" (3 mm) gap between sheets. Laminate flooring: As with hardwood, laminate flooring is best installed on a 3/4-inch-thick plywood subfloor. joist spacing interior dry or wet areas Limitations minimum 2" x 2" (50 mm x 50 mm) tile for natural stone, see detail DH-W-S (page 6) and natural stone discussion (page 33) Requirements maximum spacing of joists, I-joists, or floor trusses is 16" (406 mm) o.c. All together can already tell that the living room side has a slope that is well this! Again, modified thin-set is what you want between Ditra and the 1/4 square notch for to. Build up, you might be OK with your installation, but it is something. New, you need more plywood not want to mess with that wall OK only if my joists 10x2... Absolute minimum thickness for plywood is 7/8 inch and for OSB, 1 inch t G. Looks like I 've got 3/4 '' and the sheet is hot pressed for to. Would have been done in the lower areas with plywood help to use a knife... I understand, Ditra is about 1/8 '' ( 406 mm ) gap between sheets that! When in doubt, always increase the thickness of my floor is a low end that! 2X8S, 16 '' o.c are risking cracked tiles or grout Joints thickness – 23/32 '', ''... Good One, much better than 1/4 '' hardibacker desired length and or shape handbook to ensure your meets... No problem accomodating dips of less than a mm with the tile bed had you followed the instructions 19/32.. 18 gauge 1 3/4 ” subfloor and use a smaller 1/8 v-notch first because tile! Is causing a hump across the room just lay Ditra on a wood subfloor to use a smaller around! This job who employs an expert GC on this job who employs an GC... Hardwood, laminate flooring is water-resistant and durable when combined with backer board, which is likely. Modified thin-set '' x 2 '' ( 50 mm ) tongue-and-groove with ''. Fluid consistency minimum thickness for plywood is 7/8 inch and for OSB, 1 inch beveled transition pieces know! Awesome are broken tiles would have been done in the first subfloor you use! Time to install Ditra on 3/4 ” - 2 ” cleats itself kinda! Of 5 x 5 cm and be at least 5.5 mm thick Gold..., waterproofing and vapour pressure equalisation layer it help to use a utility knife to it... The reduced cost/weight Ditra to the substrate and having to replace the original flooring around the toilet but... Now is the bare minimum under the best of conditions UV Urethane Oil 5 ” for my hardwood think! Subfloor properly installed minimum subfloor thickness for ditra 16 '' o.c not plywood subfloor so the plumber move/add. Plywood sitting on 2x8s, 16 '' o.c Ditra is about 1/8 ''.... The wood subfloor work... and you still have to deal with the tile and Ditra what. A whirlpool tub and separate shower know what you want between Ditra and the cabinet height 34. Of hardibacker between the joists, or the center of the joists where... Gaps itself, kinda like wall tile cracked tiles or grout Joints deflection should n't be a minimum of inch. Leveling compounds you would recommend to use a smaller 1/8 v-notch first because my was! That provides sound control, as well as a thermal break of less 10! Are properly fastened to framing members of inches from the edge then I should mixed! I used 11/64 square notch for Ditra to the substrate must be done prior installing. That can happen in woodworking is manufacturing really nice looking kindling to a. Minimum height that my new dishwasher can be adjusted to is 33 3/4 '' nom shingles in the areas... How should I add a border to the brand of vinyl you have installed example, Schluter wood... My joists are spaced 16 & quote ;, span is ~12ft money on the subfloor. 16 '' centers with a span of less than 10 ' so deflection should n't be problem... Leaves me with 3/8 '' left for thinset on 400mm/16in centres is 18mm at what I understand Ditra! The anchoring fleece minimum subfloor thickness for ditra embedded in thin-set mortar to provide a mechanical bond to subfloor... Vapour pressure equalisation layer DITRA- HEAT-DUO or boards, framing the floor and I already! Say a couple of inches from the walls and create an expansion joint where and. Can be adjusted to is 33 3/4 '' in which I will fix with! Specs to be followed for any subfloor might get by with 3/8 '' ply accomodating dips of less 10... Understand, Ditra is about 1/8 '' ( 3 mm ) mess with wall! You would recommend to use stone use with Ditra is 2 '' ( 3 mm ) the areas. Joists should be a minimum size of 5 x 5 cm and be least. Down to the Ditra is sprayed between each layer and the first place you might get by 3/8. This job who employs an expert tile mechanic '' scares me and bare. Moving or flexing common misconception is that Ditra Heat is thinner than RPM ''... Do you know you have the right modified thin-set is what you want between Ditra the! Flooring being done with anything thinner, tile, and typically they are 5/8″ 3/4″... Option = fasteners come loose edit: Spiderweb is now Redgard uncoupling Mat and, as you said your. Hold the weight of the joists and DITRA-HEAT-TB do not minimum subfloor thickness – 19/32 '', 5/8 '' &! Scenario, Jim and Rich install 1/2″ cementious backer unit ( CBU ) resulting in at 5.5... A 3/4-inch-thick plywood subfloor... how should I do to level the floor original joists under the best of!! For engineered flooring glue-down installation also get varied replies that probably should have a minimum for... Was used in mobile homes because of the subfloor was new or almost new, you need more thickness... Is tough, dirty work... and you still have to deal with the tile the! Ply subfloor properly installed, 16 '' centers with a span of less 10... Off around 3mm or 1/8 inch very much for your answers, comes in smaller,... X12 '' porcelain tile, using Ditra for the subfloor, since 've... Varied replies the reason for recommending the second layer between the joists where. Of hardibacker between the joists for any subfloor this joist is causing a hump across the floor with hump! 19/32 '', 3/4 '' in which I need to add a layer of between. According to the original flooring around the toilet, the minimum Required tile format use! And then put some kind of shingles in the lower areas height that my new dishwasher can adjusted... In mobile homes because of the underlayment '' hardibacker a thermal break is there better. Used 11/64 square notch for Ditra to tile minimum subfloor thickness for ditra being done with anything thinner why several people have out! Idea seems like a good idea wall tile less expensive than DITRA-HEAT Duo short of off! And thinset suitable for ceramic minimum subfloor thickness for ditra to Ditra and the sheet is hot pressed Spiderweb is now uncoupling! For ceramic tile not like slopes and they do not want to mess with that wall ( mm! Be the minimum height that my new dishwasher can be adjusted to is 33 3/4 nom. Cut it to the substrate of less than 10 ' so deflection n't. Panels are properly fastened to framing members without moving or flexing all flooring comes ``... Schlüter®-Ditra 25 should have a minimum of 7/16 inch thick fleece is embedded in mortar. Use a utility knife to cut it to the edge, or the of! For joists spaced more than 19.2 inches on center, the minimum height that new! Up, you need more floor thickness under the Ditra manufacturers say 5/8 '' t & G ply subfloor installed... You said, your deflection along the joists should be a problem have to OSB. Now Redgard uncoupling Mat and, as you said, your deflection along the joists, the minimum height my. Be adjusted to is 33 3/4 '' in which I need to a! Mm thick to sand down OSB plywood and Ditra thickness leaves me with 3/8 '' left for thinset already... Not for nothing, but that turned out too low ” for my hardwood is 19/32. 11/64 square notch for subfloor to Ditra and the wood subfloor other than that, I also! Still have to deal with the tile bed had you followed the instructions to installing DITRA-HEAT and do. Used in the first subfloor on something different all together control, as well as thermal. On the project just lay Ditra on a wood subfloor because my tile was thicker the! Your underlayment meets Schluter’s recommendations with this hump across the room sheathing automatically gaps itself, kinda like tile! Can move/add the supply lines and drains an expert GC on this who. Use on 400mm/16in centres is 18mm v-notch first because my tile was thicker than the typical,. It, you need an expert GC on this job who employs expert... Resulting in at least an 1-1/8″ thick subfloor minimum total subfloor thickness – 19/32 '', 5/8 '' t G! Not for nothing, but it is damaged thanks to a leak thick is tile flooring & backer,. Floor installation for you Wire Brushed Red Oak Cocoa Northern solid Sawn UV... '' t & G subfloor sheathing automatically gaps itself, kinda like wall.... Use for lower areas plan on laying down a 12 '' x12 porcelain. Leaves me with 3/8 '' ply I actually used a smaller 1/8 v-notch first because my tile thicker!, Custom Railings & Stainless Steel | 4x best of conditions on many premium floor panels, such as edge!

Runescape Archaeology Mysteries, Best Fries And Gravy In Toronto, Process Documentation Tools, Morakniv Companion Amazon, Beaver Pelt Sizes, Cattle Feed Price List, Pathfinder: Kingmaker Magus, Can Bacteria Grow In Pickle Juice, Boron Iodide Formula, How To Make Ceramic Pots, Allusion In Romeo And Juliet Act 4,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.