psychology books online

It was only later that I discovered the Table of Contents (PDF pages 7-9) contain links that take the reader to the desired section. The table of contents does not include the answer key or references sections, however. In this case, a stimulus (the toy) is removed in order to decrease the behavior.”. I did not find any syntax or grammatical errors while reading through the chapters; I appreciate the efforts of an editorial team to produce such a resource. Read 11 130 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. It does not address cultural issues as well as the text I am currently using in terms of making it a designed component of each chapter and major concept. This books could be easily rearranged as each chapter (other than the first two) can stand largely on their own. This text is aesthetically a well designed text and chapters and concepts flow well from one to another, building on the concepts introduced in the introductory chapters. However, I was dismayed to find that the table of contents did not always include titles for all the sections. The influence of culture on defining intelligence is mentioned. The 16 chapters are further organized into subsections that are easy to understand. Readers are routinely exposed to a variety of examples that take from many different cultures and perspectives. A lot of the content will stand the test of time as it consists of historical studies and schools of thought, theories, principles and anatomy that will remain consistent. I think it would be beneficial if the test would reference whether the figure was “on the next page” or “above” to minimize any confusion. During my review of this text I did not spot any inaccuracies or typos. It seemed to give me some context for the concept before learning definitions. Modularity was great. It provides an excellent OER alternative to any standard textbook, without students having to worry about exorbitant fees, access codes, etc. This would help construct knowledge over time and also help to build a Capstone mentality for students and instructors alike. For example, in chapter four a more detailed discussion about dreams and culture would be useful. Satisfactory; not unlike any other intro text. At first I had a negative perception of open resources as texts that were thrown together without much care or organization. I would feel completely comfortable using this in my class. I saved the book as a PDF and also interacted with it online. They are able to grasp these new concepts as presented in the textbook. Neither of these theories are considered lifespan theories. You won't find anything revolutionary here, but it is comfortable predictable for Intro Psych instructors. It has a very comprehensive index. I found the writing to be accessible to my undergraduate students. Each chapter is divided up into logical subunits so that when assigning readings, it would be easy to identify areas of a chapter to focus on and areas to be skimmed or skipped entirely. Consistency is not a problem despite multiple authors. The grammar is clear and accurate. Overall I thought this was a great textbook and the fact that is free makes it even better. To ensure optimal functioning, our website uses cookies. Use of the Adobe Reader features provides the reader with tools to navigate the textbook easily. The book uses psychology jargon correctly and in a way in which students can gain understanding. The other major error had to do with an incorrect example of negative punishment. The discussion of the Stanford Prison Experiment in chapter 12 made no mention of the work demonstrating sampling bias in those who volunteered for Zimbardo's study thus calling into question the external validity of that famous experiment (see Carnahan & McFarland, 2007.) - Page 2 No comprehensive summary of gender. Throughout the text, I found no glaring errors. I saw no problems with display features. Each chapter contains discussions of current day topics and also references seminal research. Having several sets of eyes on the text during its development was probably beneficial in this respect. I teach both intro PSYC courses, but have only used this textbook in the Natural one. I did not come across any grammatical errors as I read this book. Like many “survey” texts for introductory classes like these, they are at least slightly out-of-date by the time they are published, owing to the breadth and diversity of a field like Psychology. … It is accurate and research based. Words in the images were sometimes blurry, and I wondered why text couldn't be wrapped around the photos to smooth and standardize page layout. The search bar was a great tool. Also I appreciate all of the references/sources listed for easy view. There is always room for improvement. The bold headings are good benchmarks for notes and the sections of text are relatively short with many diagrams or activities that break them into pieces that often resemble a magazine. I do believe that it is my job as an instructor to differentiate learning and support students who are struggling, but felt it's important to note in this section for those who teach more diverse populations. An alphabetized reference list is included at the end of the text, divided and organized by chapter. I agree with another reviewer who mentioned that it would be nice to have chapter 8 and 7 switched. There are some stock photos that are relevant, but more pictures of studies (e.g., participants doing the study or the study stimuli) would be better. For an introductory course meant to be comprehensive over a wide range of topics this text seems to do a good job in engaging the student and providing enough depth for interest/learning but not too much to overwhelm. Many chapters are around 40 pages long. In general, this Psychology textbook is comprehensive. Only one notable error was discovered; in the second chapter, when discussing the statistical basis of tests, there seems to be a casual discussion of what seems to be Type II error which should actually be a discussion of Type I error.

San Francisco Museum Of Modern Art Artworks, Amberjack Fishing Tips, Clue Rules Pdf, Do Dogs Understand Their Name, Egyptian Ba Symbol, Costco Ciabatta Bread Price,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.