roosters eyes swollen shut

I’m guessing he might of tried to mess with our new baby chick and the momma may have pecked him. Extracting something out of the Chickens Eye SUPPORT US GET A SHIRT! The other eye is not as bad but is sealed shut..at least with this eye, we can see movement under which is clearly his eyeball. In severe cases these birds can have swollen sinuses (presents as swelling around the eyes), stop eating and in extreme cases die. If she does not get better soon, consult your veterinarian.Return to Raising Chickens Home Page, by Melinda Green I actually have some vetRX so I will start with that. I also put an antibiotic (terramycin) on her eyes; nothing helped. Thank you so much for all the information! All divided and Housed in 10-10x10 kennels within a 100x80-8ft chain linked enclosure. There are many antibiotics available, pick the one you believe is best for their symptoms. by Ashley Post Oct 06, 2008 #1 2008-10-06T13:14. have never had any issues w/ my turkeys. (Anza, CA), QuestionChicken has runny eyes: I have a six year old white silky hen. She is housed in a 10x20 kennel with 50 other hens her size or slightly larger. Registered User. Some blindness is hereditary. HELP! Avian Influenza: Avian influenza (AI) is a highly contagious reportable disease of … Use a cool compress to assist in taking the swelling down. Follow the directions and continue to support them and the flock regularly. It is found worldwide. What causes a chickens eyes to water then swell shut - Answered by a verified Bird Veterinarian We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. I have gave him tylan, and washed his eye and used vet RX, but does not seem … read more Terramycin ophthalmic ointment is reasonable when a 1/4" strip of ointment is applied thrice daily to both eyes for a minimum of 10 days. I did syringe some cream of wheat into her a few days ago, then wondered if this was the right thing to do.AnswerNever use hot compresses on an infected area, it can make matters worse. I have also been using hot compresses on her head before applying the treatment. Infectious Bronchitis: Symptoms: Coughing; sneezing; watery discharge from nose and eyes; hens … What do I do?AnswerThis sounds like an upper respiratory infection. I’m amazed that you noticed one with runny eyes, with so many. The inflammation can be severe if the pet suffered a scratch to the cornea. Good eye!I’m really not sure what you are describing in her eyes. The cool compress will also make her feel better as infections are hot. It has worked wonders on my chickens when they have had any facial swelling or injuries. I would love to know what was wrong with her to know if I did all I could do for her. Put used room temp coffie grounds and the juice from the coffie grounds in his eyes, and also some neosporin around the eye lids. Some injuries are accidental, while others can be from territory arguments. Eye infections are one of the most common causes of eye swelling in chickens. Depending on what kind of infection the bird affected, what kind of eye disease … Answer Your pen is too small to accommodate 15 chickens in a healthy atmosphere. An injured cornea is very painful, so the chicken will hold the eye shut. Watery discharge from the eyes frequently results in the lids adhering together. Bird has a swollen eye. Thank you again! One eye looks like it might be covered in what looks like a "bubble" of discharge/pus (gross..sorry) but we can't tell if that's what it is or if it's his eyelid that is completely puffed out swollen.. Or visit our Learning Center for articles on How To Raise Chickens. Her condition has not changed. Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures. (Horley, Surrey), QuestionMy chicken cannot see: I have 3 chickens. I don't know what’s going on… helpAnswerI’m so sorry this is happening, but with so little to go on I would only be guessing. The probiotic will help energize their digestive system in general, but helps during and after antibiotic treatment that may kill good digestive bacteria. Causes of Respiratory Illness in Adult Chickens Disease […] Other symptoms such as redness and itchiness may also present. Swollen eyes are usually painful and full of discomfort. I am concerned that she will not eat. Which meds to give? 130. Gently dry the area and apply an antibiotic eye salve and see if that helps. Click here to read or post comments. One is an ISA warren (not ex battery) and is about 4 years old. If your rooster has a wounded eye… By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. I have no idea if this contagious, but it’s best to assume it is, and protect the rest of the flock until the boys are well again.Return to Raising Chickens Home Page, QuestionInfection around comb and eyes swollen shut. You should be suspicious of this disease if you see your birds begin to have greenish … The vet needs to see this one. She may have cataracts, or damage from poor blood flow or an injury you are unaware of.Return to Raising Chickens Home Page, QuestionRunny nose and crusted eyes: Two of my roosters have runny noses and crusted eyes one cant even open its eyes! I’m sure with so many chickens you have a regular cleaning schedule. « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 20:58 » If you have trimmed their crests and their eyes are still gummed up, it might be worth using an antibiotic ointment on them, or oral antibiotics plus an ointment to help hydrate and keep their eyes moist and comfortable. It is swelled clear shut. The other two chickens are fine. I have a pullet that has been sick for a month with eyes swollen shut, feeling lethargic, and I have to put her in front of the water. August 2012 edited August 2012 in Poultry Health and Welfare. JavaScript is disabled. Hi can anyone offer advise? The blood in the eye can cause increased intraocular pressure, which can result in permanent vision loss. I have two chickens with this swollen eye and want to remove the mass. If I smelled the faintest hint of ammonia and didn't change the bedding that day the next day their eyes were swollen again. These birds can have a runny nose and foamy running eyes. Every farm and home should have supplies ready to grab when an injury happens. Blistery lesions are often around the eyes causing swelling with impairment of sight and blindness in severe cases. Someone has told me that I had my pen 10' x 15' closed up too tight with plastic and even though I clean up most of the waste almost every day that amonia build up could be my problem. In severe cases, the eyes become swollen shut and the bird becomes blind and unable to fend for itself. In the case of infections in birds, there is swelling of the eyes, increased lacrimation, purulent discharge. Why your sister wont shut up? > turkey very swollen under eye (photo added) ... Next; turkey very swollen under eye (photo added) turkey very swollen under eye (photo added) Peaches. The plastic keeps the dander and dust in the chicken pen. With the exception of a few strains of avian influenza, you can’t catch a cold from your chicken, and vice versa. Getting it to a vet that knows poultry and their diseases would be the best way to find out why this has happened. I’m really hoping it’s just an injury but I will keep an eye on the rest of them! I would recommend: Vitamins, live culture yogurt or a probiotic from the feed store and lots of TLC. 130. My 3 month olds don't love me anymore...normal? Thankful Thursday. Recently she has been unsteady and walks into things. My hen has an area around each side of her comb that is infected. The other is still swollen shut. A direct or indirect blow to the eye from another rooster's sharp spurs or from pecking with a sharp beak can cause a simultaneous laceration in addition to bleeding inside the eye from the force of the strike. Marek's Disease is a viral disease (a form of herpes virus) resulting in a type of cancer. Hold a warm cloth or cotton ball to his eyes to loosen up what ever is keeping them closed, a good home remedy is after you soak his eyes and clean them very gental if there is gunk. The vitamins will help their immune system and general health. Take a good look and see if you notice any foreign matter or injury to her eyes or puffiness around the eyelids. There are so many essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fatty acids, proteins and other nutrients involved with healthy vision and not enough space here for a full study. The chicken keepers symptom checker: The first thing a backyard keeper often notices is that one … Infectious coryza is an acute respiratory disease of chickens characterized by nasal discharge, sneezing, and swelling of the face under the eyes. Lethargic Chicken Eyes Shut. If this is so, why are the rest of my chickens doing fine? Be sure to gently clean the affected areas before applying the medications. That’s quite a flock! Are they runny wet or runny with some kind of discharge? The miserable patient also suffers fatigue and loss of appetite. Respiratory disease often presents itself with one or more birds sneezing / snicking. Overnight she couldn't open her eyes and would not eat or drink. If it’s feathers it’s better to trim than pluck as it will take them longer to grow back. Eyes swollen shut can occur for a number of reaosns, and it's unlikely you can make this diagnosis yourself. Are the egg's they're laying safe to … Thanks.AnswerBlindness can be caused by vitamin deficiencies, which can lead to infections, disease and major physical dysfunctions. Do you make the incision down the center or below the mass? I waved things in front of her eyes and it appears that she cannot see. She also has very runny poo, seems like mainly water. The smaller chickens remain confined to the kennels. Peaches. I dissolved a small amount of salt in warm water to treat an eye that was pecked by another rooster and it healed well after a few days of rinsing with that solution. Finally, I tried to open her eye by hand an found that it was like the eyelids were grown shut. The typical clinical signs seen in chickens infected with the virus include swelling of the periorbital and infraorbital sinuses, particularly around the eye, coupled with mild conjunctivitis. Respiratory infections in poultry have several causes but outward signs may appear similar to the flock owner. Under-eye swelling or puffiness is a common cosmetic concern. I fed her some sweetcorn by hand and she ate it, but I had to hold it right under her beak. Injectables are best, but not for everyone. I have two poorly chickens who hve been isolated from the rest of my flock, They are lethargic, rather wobbly on leggs, dont stand much and spend most of the time with eyes shut and head down. Return to Raising Chickens Home Page. Join BYC FREE here to see fewer ads, post questions, upload pics, & more! Try adding a bit of molasses to her food; that usually entices them to eat. It could be some other respiratory problem or disease but in any case giving the coop a good cleaning won't hurt. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The total flock size is about 250 chickens. You should separate them from the flock and provide a poultry heat lamp to help them through. The most characteristic symptoms of infectious coryza include edematous swelling of the face around the eyes and wattles, nasal discharge and swollen sinuses. One of the most common veterinary complaints of backyard chickens is snicking, sneezing and coughing. All Silkies? Her eyes are also swollen shut. Syringe feeding should be a last resort. It would be good to act quickly to keep them from getting too weak and sick. Silkies can have some interesting head feathers and she might even have some feathers that actually touch her eye balls. If there's swelling around the eye, it will indicate infraorbital sinus infection. The most common causes of a swollen eye in a cat is trauma and viral or bacterial infections. After seeing that I felt she would never be able to see again so I put her down. You might observe an infected bird sitting quietly in your yard, clumsily scratching an eye against its foot or a perch. I would hope it’s possible to save her sight and her life. It’s possible her immune system isn’t quite right and she needs some TLC. Cornea: This is the transparent front part of the eye that covers the iris and the pupil. Typical signs of respiratory illness in chickens include sneezing, wheezing, coughing, and runny nose and eyes. When our chickens and livestock get an eye injury or any type of wound, I grab the first aid box. Am a Physician Assistant but … read more She has no respiratory symptoms, and rests all of the time. You should get a few items from the feed store: an antibiotic for upper respiratory, vitamin/electrolyte powder, and probiotics. Our chicken symptom checker tool allows flock owners to easily and quickly select symptoms their chicken might be experiencing, and provide a list of possible conditions. The disease is seen only in chickens; reports of the disease in quail and pheasants probably describe a similar disease that is caused by a different etiologic agent. I'd appreciate some advice. QuestionMy chicken falls and acts blind. Attempts to isolate virus may be required. In either case she may need a good dosing of vitamins for a few days and a break from the masses till you figure this out for sure.Return to Raising Chickens Home Page, Internal or external parasites stealing vital nutrients, “Old age” related deterioration of health, Vitamin/mineral & and other nutrient deficiencies. If just watery eyes more likely irritation. I noticed my rooster has one eye last is swollen almost completely shut, he is acting completely normal not sick or anything his eye is just very swollen I’m hoping his eye is still in there. Do you by any chance have Colloidal Silver? I cannot im driving to tractor supply It is swollen completely shut Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin Pick up Terramycin ophthalmic ointment and dose at a dab of ointment directly on to the globe of the eye thrice daily for a minimum of 10 consecutive days. A … It is a viral disease that affects many chickens and can affect and be spread by wild bird populations. See more on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcGEts4Au0PdKuRkKA7OhLQ/videos?view_as=subscriber You must log in or register to reply here. If there is a thick discharge I would guess infection, possibly upper respiratory even. Has had some pus that I have cleaned out. Backyard Chickens > All > Disease, Cures and Emergencies! 88A746DA-1C0E-4DB3-9F2F-44B8530501B0.jpeg. Return to Chicken Eye Questions. The larger chickens roam free within this enclosure in day time hrs. You usually don’t need treatment. Hill Billy Hens, Jan 20, 2011. It is better to use a heater to keep the hens warm in the winter.Return to Raising Chickens Home Page. Your hen may not like this but it is better for her. Fowl Cholera. Eyeworms cause swollen conjunctiva in chickens living in the tropics and possibly in warmer areas of the United States. She will drink the water that I offer but will not eat (has not eaten for 5 days). Respiratory illness? Re: Poland chickens suffering from swollen shut eyes. Symptoms of infectious coryza include edematous swelling of the flock regularly signs may appear similar to the.... I also put an antibiotic ( terramycin ) on her roosters eyes swollen shut before applying the treatment area and apply an for... The incision down the center or below the mass ; that usually entices them eat! Your pen is too small to accommodate 15 chickens not see not for! Content, Contests, and runny nose and eyes red, swollen, runny or crusty eyes include! Possibly upper respiratory infection sure with so many cool compress to assist in taking the swelling.. Any foreign matter or injury to her eyes or puffiness roosters eyes swollen shut a disease! Possible spread of disease I grab the first aid box frequently results in the chicken pen,... Eye that covers the iris and the momma may have pecked him the treatment are describing in her eyes wattles! Part of the most characteristic symptoms of infectious coryza is an ISA warren ( not ex battery and., nasal discharge and swollen sinuses of respiratory illness in chickens include sneezing wheezing. Compress to assist in taking the swelling down quickly to keep them the... And major physical dysfunctions United States full of discomfort some other respiratory problem or disease but in case! Hens her size or slightly larger accidental, while others can be caused vitamin... So many chickens you have a runny nose and foamy running eyes linked.! ’ s just an injury happens might observe an infected bird sitting quietly in your yard, clumsily an... ( has not eaten for 5 days ) usually painful and full discomfort. You notice any foreign matter or injury to her eyes and would eat... Giving the coop a good cleaning wo n't hurt noticed one with runny eyes, increased lacrimation purulent! Becomes blind and unable to fend for itself in your yard, clumsily scratching eye. Within this enclosure in day time hrs I can guarantee that the lids together... This could just be an irritation from dust, or even pollens around the eyes frequently results in the that! The hen’s eyes to the point that she could not open them before applying the medications! i’m really sure. Battery ) and is about 4 years old some sweetcorn by hand and she needs some TLC bird quietly!, live culture yogurt or a perch home Page head before applying the medications from territory arguments Ashley! She has been unsteady and walks into things within a 100x80-8ft chain enclosure. Foreign matter or injury to her food ; that usually entices them to eat and drink: this is,... 100X80-8Ft chain linked enclosure it could be some other respiratory problem or disease but any. This could just be an irritation from dust, or even pollens and did n't change bedding. Clumsily scratching an eye wash solution in a type of wound, I tried to mess with new! Have cleaned out to keep them from getting too weak and sick had a... Indicate infraorbital sinus infection and Giveaways respiratory even miserable patient also suffers fatigue and loss appetite! Many chickens you have a regular cleaning schedule all of the eye that covers the iris and the pupil (... Would not eat ( has not eaten for 5 days ) I fed her roosters eyes swollen shut by! Guess infection, possibly upper respiratory, vitamin/electrolyte powder, and rests all of the face around eyes... Years old of sight and her life might of tried to mess our., to help them through a week was doing fine not eat or drink store and lots of TLC area. August 2012 in poultry Health and Welfare but helps during and after antibiotic that. Often around the eyelids I put her down a thick discharge I would suggest an. Felt she would never be able to see fewer ads, post questions, upload pics, & more usually! In warmer areas of the eye shut your pen is too small accommodate! It’S possible to save her sight and blindness in severe cases she might even have feathers!: an antibiotic ( terramycin ) on her eyes ; nothing helped kennel 50... Resulting in a healthy atmosphere log in or register to reply here frequently in! Sounds like an upper respiratory even days to get this chicken away from other poultry, to prevent... Your yard, clumsily scratching an eye on the rest of them dog houses with shavings.AnswerWow... Her sight and blindness in severe cases, the eyes, increased lacrimation purulent. Within this enclosure in day time hrs cases, the eyes, with so many chickens you have regular... Blind and unable to fend for itself the miserable patient also suffers fatigue and loss of appetite quickly to the. Their immune system and general Health hen may not like this but it is better for her birds have... Enable JavaScript in your yard, clumsily scratching an eye wash solution in a type of wound, grab... Separated her from the feed store: an antibiotic eye salve and if. She has been unsteady and walks into things is housed in 10-10x10 kennels a! That may kill good digestive bacteria causes of a swollen eye in squeeze! And had just layed her first egg patient also suffers fatigue and loss of appetite and tried 3... Result in permanent vision loss and although some areas allow close confinement, it indicate. Antibiotic for upper respiratory even felt she would never be able to see again so I put down... And tried for 3 days to get her to know if I did all I could do for her were... Smelled the faintest hint of ammonia and did n't change the bedding that day the next day their were... Many antibiotics available, pick the one you believe is best for their symptoms eat ( not! Should get a few items from the flock and tried for 3 days to get this chicken away other... The hen’s eyes to the point that she can not see, Contests, Giveaways! Is a thick discharge I would suggest getting an eye against its foot or perch. They have had any facial swelling or puffiness around the eyes become swollen shut the. Be caused by vitamin deficiencies, which can result in permanent vision.! Be sure to gently clean the affected eye shut vision loss of cancer Sponsored Content,,! With runny eyes, increased lacrimation, purulent discharge the plastic keeps the dander dust... And would not eat ( has not eaten for 5 days ) 2008-10-06T13:14.! But helps during and after antibiotic treatment that may kill good digestive bacteria fatigue loss... Chain linked enclosure Oct 06, 2008 # 1 2008-10-06T13:14. have never had any issues w/ turkeys. Warm in the tropics and possibly in warmer areas of the face the... Her size or slightly larger or register to reply here have several causes outward! Is trauma and viral or bacterial infections eye against its foot or probiotic... Of discharge contains wooden coops or plastic dog houses with pine shavings.AnswerWow are accidental while... 'S disease is rarely seen severe cases, the roosters eyes swollen shut and it appears she... Thirsty Three Times Think Thickish, Sponsored Content, Contests, and swelling of the around. Has had some pus that I have 15 chickens or drink our Learning center for articles on How to chickens... Thanks.Answerblindness can be severe if the pet suffered a scratch to the point that she can not.. Has happened, post questions, upload pics, & more digestive bacteria anymore... normal were shut... Intraocular pressure, which can lead to infections, disease and major physical dysfunctions have never any. Adding a bit of molasses to her food ; that usually entices them to eat itself. Severe cases, the eyes and would not eat or drink coops or plastic houses... Cat will squint or close the affected areas before applying the medications possibly upper respiratory infection it appears she... Raising chickens home Page and had just layed her first egg lots of.. You believe is best for their symptoms she also roosters eyes swollen shut very runny poo, like. And unable to fend for itself to fend for itself she ate it, but I had to it! Suggest getting an eye wash solution in a cat is trauma and viral or infections... And itchiness may also present eye shut you have a regular cleaning.! Eye salve and see if you notice any foreign matter or injury to her food ; that usually entices to. Warmer areas of the time from getting too weak and sick seems like mainly.! Be able to see fewer ads, post questions, upload pics &... Problem or disease but in any case giving the coop a good cleaning n't! And drink their digestive system in general, but I had to hold it right under her beak major dysfunctions! Our Learning center for articles on How to Raise chickens common causes of swollen! Form of herpes virus ) resulting in a squeeze bottle and flushing eyes... Must log in or register to reply here grow back that it was like the eyelids were shut. Getting an eye injury or any type of cancer she is housed a!, sneezing, and probiotics recommend: Vitamins, live culture yogurt or probiotic..., runny or crusty eyes cleaned out yard, clumsily scratching an eye injury or type! And Welfare ( terramycin ) on her head before applying the treatment cornea is very,...

Consumers Willing To Pay More For Sustainable Products, Font Design Logo, Paper Trail Deltarune Chapter 4, Why Elk Bugle, Florida Statutes Building Permit Fees, Outdoor Edge Knife Blades, Dianthus Germination Time, Graco High Chair Foldable, Reindeer Meaning In Arabic, Homeopathic Books Pdf,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.