russian comfrey vs true comfrey

Below you'll find a list of all posts that have been tagged as “True comfrey vs Russian comfrey”, The flowers of True Comfrey (Symphytum officinale) are generally very richly arrayed and colored dark purple. I used to chuck the huge leaves of Russian comfrey for the job. --Mahatma Gandhi "Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words." It can become a nuisance since it reproduces rapidly—even from just a tiny bit of root. Russian Comfrey: A Hundred Tons an Acre of Stock Feed or Compost for Farm, Garden or Smallholding. This type has wooly, fuzzy leaves, and delicate pink flowers. From the luscious leaves to the thick, mucilage-laden roots I find nothing to compare. Can you use comfrey in place of arnica and vice versa? Russian comfrey (Symphytum x uplandicum) is also called the Bocking 14 cultivar. I have not grown the Bocking #4, so I can not offer any comparisons from personal experience. Does anyone know where I can buy True Comfrey,(Symphytum officinalis)and Russian Comfrey (Symphytum uplandicum)? True/Common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) Russian comfrey (Symphytum x uplandicum) also called the Bocking 14 cultivar. -- Adam Klaus, My project thread: http://www.permies.com/t/20399/projects/Maine-Master-Plan. Comfrey is best planted in the early spring or fall. He found that it mines nutrients … What do I do with all the seeds I ordered!! In traditional Chinese medicine it has been a … that I know of ), Akiva, I would like to buy some of your roots. From the luscious leaves to the thick, mucilage-laden roots I find nothing to compare. Thousands of web sites make all kinds of claims for it and if you believe the claims everyone should be growing comfrey to add nutrients to compost, mulch soil, and make plants grow better. Hi Peter. Root – … https://www.facebook.com/groups/treatmentfreebeekeepers/, "You must be the change you want to see in the world." Empty cart. Comfrey is a high-yielding leafy green perennial herb, and a member of the borage family. so true comfrey will also spread via root division and even if not allowed to go to seed it will stay in the soil and come back year after year^? However, Russian comfrey has sterile seeds so you don’t have to worry about it spreading by seed. World of Comfrey! I have a few different sources for the Russian Sterile (only spread via roots) but that would only be 1-5% of what I want to grow... because I tend to be a little impatient, I went ahead and ordered a lot of seeds from Richters Herbs. These nutrients are pulled up by its roots and concentrated in … I'd probably throw 'em in the woodstove, or hit them with a hammer while laughing maniacally...pretty much anything but planting them. Bocking 14 cultivar of Russian Comfrey (Symphytum x uplandicum). Russian comfrey is superior for creating biomass, while true comfrey is superior for feeding beneficial insects. Chickens, goats, horses and cows love wilted Comfrey leaves, some farm animals are less finicky and will ingest it right from the plant. Comfrey and borage make good compo activators or you can just use the leaves chucked on the beds or between flowers and shrubs where they'll rot down. Posted by Peter Forbes on 02/22/2017 . Comfrey also has great medicinal purposes as well. Skeeter talks about growing comfrey from seed. I have not grown the Bocking #4, so I can not offer any comparisons from personal experience. Comfrey is hardy from zones 4 – 9, and will grow in full or partial sun. While the Project is named after Comfrey, many of us don’t know much about this humble and amazing plant. Comfrey also has great medicinal purposes as well. For years I thought …, Strictly Medicinal LLC PO Box 299 Williams, OR 97544 USAFax: (541) 846-0872Email:[email protected]Copyright © 2020. Common Comfrey . COMFREY RUSSIAN BOCKING 14. A member of the borage family, comfrey - Symphytum spp. Try Prime Hello, Sign in Account & Lists Account Sign in Account & Lists Returns & Orders Try Prime Cart. Susan has said before that Syphytum uplandica x (which she refers to as cultivated comfrey and other refer to as Russian comfrey) has no PAs in its leaves. Comfrey – Russian Bocking 14 is one of the most useful plants for your garden and property. I use, grow and sell, Russian Bocking 14 Comfrey, Symphytum uplandicum. Russian comfrey, the great compost heap maker, is Symphytum x uplandicum. It has been a long lost plant that is making it’s way back. Hills, Lawrence D. Russian Comfrey: A Hundred Tons an Acre of Stock or Compost for Farm, Garden or Smallholding. Russian Comfrey. World of Comfrey! New hybrids are still occurring in the parent species’ common habitats, but Russian comfrey is far more widespread than prickly comfrey, which rarely escapes: it grows in roughly the same areas as common comfrey. Both the sterile and seeding. Comfrey is a popular permaculture plant because it is a nutrient accumulator. Comfrey's deep roots mine nutrients from the subsoil, primarily accumulating potassium, but also nitrogen, phosphorus, trace minerals and micro-nutrients. The leaves are lance-shaped and not so broad as those of Russian Comfrey. Saving Comfrey Seeds. This year, I want a lot of comfrey growing at the farm, I mean A LOT. Comfrey mulch … Comfrey doesn't like full sun. Personally, I disagree. Mulching with comfrey—also called chop-and-drop—can help to retain moisture and protect beneficial soil organisms. True Comfrey is really the nicest of the Comfrey clan in my opinion. Thanks a lot! The Russian comfrey (Symphytum × uplandicum Nyman) is a cultivated perennial herb reaching about 1 m high with large, lance-shaped hairy leaves, hairy stems and magenta-pink flowers (Bareeba et al., 1992; Göhl, 1982; Boonman, 1993; Teynor et al., 1997).The root system of a well-established comfrey plant is fleshy and extensive. The powerful roots of Russian Comfrey Bocking #4 go down 8-10 feet. It is also a great source of fertilizer for your property. Other English names include Quaker comfrey, cultivated comfrey, boneset, knitbone, consound, and slippery-root. From the luscious leaves to the thick, mucilage-laden roots I find nothing to compare. Common Comfrey (Symphytum Officinale), produces seeds, is easily spread, and considered noxious (avoid this one!). Twisted Tree Farm and Nursery www.twisted-tree.net, Moderator, Treatment Free Beekeepers group on Facebook. My research suggests that the level of PAs in Russian comfrey leaves can vary greatly during the year, and probably depending on growing conditions, but that they do have them. Comfrey (S ymphytum officinale) is probably the most popular dynamic accumulator.Permaculturists swear by it, and organic gardeners use it frequently. Common Comfrey (Symphytum Officinale), produces seeds, is easily spread, and considered noxious (avoid this one!). I have grown and used comfrey in my forest garden & garden as a mulch, sheet mulch and … It seems easy to find sterile rootstock (which is what I did, locally sourced) so as to avoid something so invasive. Comfrey – Russian Bocking 14 is one of the most useful plants for your garden and property. (Most comfrey grown in the US is the Russian Bocking 14 hybrid, which is sterile and cannot be grown from seed.) Hi Peter. I have grown and used comfrey in my forest garden & garden as a mulch, sheet mulch and compost and also as a tea extract for over 20 years. In 1954 Lawrence Hills began researching the use of Comfrey. Common Comfrey flowers are usually white/cream. These plants practically raised themselves. Bocking #4 is 5.04%. Bocking #14 roots go down 6-8 feet. The problem is two-fold: firstly there are two "comfreys" and reference to them is often casual. Posts: 69. 7: Comfrey Mulch (My favorite of all the comfrey uses!) True Comfrey (Symphytum officinale) has 5.3% potash. Good as a companion plant, in permaculture, or as a source of compost. A member of the borage family, comfrey - Symphytum spp. Your Shopping Cart will be saved and you'll be given a link. Closing the Loop 4,562 views The leaves are lance-shaped and not so broad as those of Russian Comfrey. It grows about three feet tall and makes seeds. Bees love it. Governments in the UK & Australia have restricted the uses of comfrey root or banned the plant respectively. Compared to true comfrey (Symphytum officinale), species of comfrey such as Russian comfrey (Symphytum x uplandicum) and prickly comfrey (Symphytum asperum) contain the more toxic macrocyclic diester PAs (Hoffmann, 2003) and higher levels of echimidine, which has exhibited a more toxic effect (Gardner & McGuffin, 2013). All It is also a great source of fertilizer for your property. At about three feet tall, True comfrey is smaller than Russian comfrey. Sterile hybrid does not make seeds. Conversely, the “True” or “Common” varieties of comfrey will self-seed and are said to be less vigorous growers, but with deeper colored flowers. I can tell you that the roots of #14 go deeper than I … In 1954 Lawrence Hills began researching the use of Comfrey. Mar 26, 2018 Comfrey Staff 1 Comment. Symphytum officinale is a perennial flowering plant in the family Boraginaceae.Along with thirty four other species of Symphytum, it is known as comfrey.To differentiate it from other members of the genus Symphytum, this species is known as common comfrey or true comfrey. is native to Europe and Asia and there are 40 recorded species throughout that region. The plant most commonly referred to and used in gardens is Russian comfrey - Symphytum x uplandicum, a naturally occurring hybrid of two wild species: common comfrey - Symphytum officinale and prickly comfrey - Symphytum asperum. 1: Grow True Comfrey for Medicine. Both herbs can be used to make teas and both comfrey and arnica tea have established reputations for providing medicinal benefits. I've got plenty of other invasive, Location: Southern Manitoba, Canada, Zone 3B. True Comfrey is really the nicest of the Comfrey clan in my opinion. Please add products before saving :). Read More. The true comfrey (Symphytum officinalis) is a bit less vigorous of a grower, has more elongated leaves and (I think) prettier flowers, and … throw them on my enemies lawns? Comfrey Report: The Story of the World’s Fastest Protein Builderand Herbal Healer. The Bocking 14 cultivar of Russian Comfrey (Symphytum x uplandicum) is a sterile hybrid that will not self-seed and is extremely robust and vigorous. Dried leaves of Bocking #14 are 7.09% potash. Comfrey Plant Description Comfrey is a tall, rough-leaved plant found growing in waste places and old fields. The powerful roots of Russian Comfrey Bocking #4 go down 8-10 feet. Russian Comfrey Common comfrey (Symphytum officianale) and Russian Comfrey (S. uplandicum) are fast-growing leafy plants that are considered invasive in some areas.They spread rapidly, and are incredibly difficult to control because new plants can sprout from even tiny sections of root left in the soil. The plant most commonly referred to and used in gardens is Russian comfrey - Symphytum x uplandicum, a naturally occurring hybrid of two wild species: common comfrey - Symphytum officinale and prickly comfrey - Symphytum asperum. It can also help to relieve pain from arthritis. The Russian comfrey (Symphytum × uplandicum Nyman) is a cultivated perennial herb reaching about 1 m high with large, lance-shaped hairy leaves, hairy stems and magenta-pink flowers (Bareeba et al., 1992; Göhl, 1982; Boonman, 1993; Teynor et al., 1997).The root system of a well-established comfrey plant is fleshy and extensive. COMFREY RUSSIAN BOCKING 14. For years I thought Comfrey did not make seed, because I was not aware of the true plant, which is seed-productive, although the seeds are not so easy to collect. Your Shopping Cart will be saved with Product pictures and information, and Cart Totals. Russian comfrey (Bocking 14) is actually a hybrid between true comfrey and prickly comfrey, both of which, are pretty invasive by self seeding. Bocking #14 roots go down 6-8 feet. The flowers of True Comfrey (Symphytum officinale) are generally very richly arrayed and colored dark purple. Comfrey doesn't like full sun. Family: Borage (Boraginacea) Hardy in Zones 4 to 8. Other English names include Quaker comfrey, cultivated comfrey, boneset, knitbone, consound, and slippery-root. is native to Europe and Asia and there are 40 recorded species throughout that region. I use, grow and sell, Russian Bocking 14 Comfrey, Symphytum uplandicum. The compounds in comfrey’s leaves and roots--pyrrolizidine alkaloids--are toxic and may damage the liver, cautions UMMC. Lawrence D Hills at the Bocking Trials Field . True Comfrey is really the nicest of the Comfrey clan in my opinion. The plants are beautiful, with tall blooming stems and unique webbed leaves. The claim about Russian comfrey being sterile may be true for the two most popular cultivars of Russian comfrey since selecting for sterile seed would have been part of the process. 2000 square feet isn't that much, easy to do with cuttings. Family: Borage (Boraginacea) Hardy in Zones 4 to 8. Mar 26, 2018 Comfrey Staff 1 Comment. From everything I've heard about comfrey that makes viable seed, I don't want it anywhere near my gardens. http://www.permies.com/t/20399/projects/Maine-Master-Plan, Help finding quality comfrey Bocking 14 in Canada + other Zone 4ish food and permie perennials.

American Professional Jazzmaster Pickups, Calories In 1 Cube Of Dairy Milk, Lasko Wind Curve Fan Uk, Python Number In Between Two Values, What Eats California Sheephead, Noctua Nh-u14s Case Compatibility List,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.